remote trip swing

murphy4trees

TreeHouser
this is a variation of the rigging used to swing horizontal limbs a long ways before they drop in order to clear a house or other trees etc.. Kenny (treespyder) originally wrote about swing rigging by tying off near the COG (center of gravity) and pre-tensioning the rigging line back on arboristite circa 2003.... Mark Chisholm included swing rigging in a workshop I took from him around 2002, and my mentor Big John Grier used swing rigging extensively back as far as I can remember (around 2002).

What makes this cut different is that it is set up to trip remotely, which really isn't needed if you are cutting from rope and saddle, but can save a lot of trouble from the bucket.

The first limb of this video swings about 180 degrees with little or no vertical drop before separation. Other big 40' limbs swing just enough to clear the lower trees before they drop...

Very effective and useful for an old man that doesn't get out of the bucket much these days..

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/5bWraW2Rdq4" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

So what is the technique? Make the perfect cut and cause it to release by letting the piece down a tad?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Yes,
If its life and death then put a pull line in it and let the men on the ground trip it, or occasionally short line trip from the bucket...

Agreed. What do you use for a LD and to pretension?

Sometimes, a hold-back line might be useful, as insurance that it doesn't let go early, into the lift.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Looks cold in Philly already!

most of that vid was made in the winter of 2014-15...
I just made it public...

And negative on the skid steer.. I use the SS to lift a limb, but not pretension... just sweat in the lines.. put a couple guys on it if needed....

I use this all the time.

Tie off just close to balance point. Sideways gob gut and get the ground staff to put a bit of tension on. Back cut and watch the hinge do it’s work. Hold the line until the piece has cleared whatever it need to then lower to break hinge.

It alway gets me wondering when some guys put the gob in the top and expect two ground staff to lift a heavy limb... different matter when a grcs, smart winch, skid steer is present.

Nice horizontal spins/ slides away from anti-targets!
I look at the line angle as pulling back into the hinge 'pocket', whereby is not neutral line angle and if was pulling away from hinge would look for earlier separation , so in contrast view pressures into hinge would increase hang time on hinge beyond hinge strength.
The nearer to CoG hitch point point also gives leveraged tightening length so limb pulls own support line tighter and places more pressure back into hinge pocket as ball socket rotating joint. The longer length from hinge to hitch points on load the more rope tightening at given angle but then more support to take that further.
This is self tightening after climber and ground crew pull and sweat as much line 'purchase' as possible out of system. Think like can always relieve steam from line pressure, need to build enough to equal float in the load. Then walk hinge to almost failure into face and relieve some line purchase/ force/steam and allow load to trigger hinge to fold. Sometimes in planning or if hinge not folding pull line over farther end on load, but not too flexible for leveraged pull on load to incite hinge folding.
With enough hinge pressure and not enough relief can fold back on you if still in batter's box cutting, so remote trigger is best.

i tried to show this also with an added torqued turn to incite more immediate. and positive sideways spin; an even less accepted practice at the time.
Got home and found these old pictures; i think this started on the ISA site and bled over to TB later on after it came up; after ISA shut down and TB and AS were still in first years of infancy. The tighter rope and angle pulling back into 'hinge pocket' (rather than neutral overhead or pulling actively away from hinge) are all for greater 'hang time' on hinge as a support AND pivot.
This simply tries to show to get away from butt tying to get more automatic line tightening by how much further you put line out from hinge point after super tighten rig and more is needed, let load finalize it itself..
Self%20tightening%20rig.jpg

This shows the added line tension can be pulling away from hinge, neutral or pulling into the 'hinge pocket' imagining then a more ball and socket joint. Also can be throwlined thru crotch and brought to climber that then does easier butt tie but the pull is coming from the crotch. i also think that the extra line of force by the rope adds some extra stability and positiveness to the motion, but then make same assertion in over the top felling pulls. i used to say CoB Center of Balance (gymnastics) but was repeatedly told CoG Center of Gravity was most correct so adapted it later for the same point.
self-tightening-overview-look.png

This shows one version of taking the line tension giving support to hinge by pressing into pocket with line tension and forcing/inciting more immediate turning to side:
leg-on-load-leverage.png

Of which i made fancier pix but can't find in my mess!
Great memories of sorting this all out!

Very nice sideways spins away from anti-targets!

i actually got hurt bad doing this, had guy the more i yelled to relieve tension, the harder he held line; and it came around and almost took me out of tree, dislocated elbow, but so mean,cheap and stupid didn't let go of 020, had to peel it from my own death grip and hag it,then turn bottom of shirt to sling cradle arm , re-tie in with other arm to descend while ants on ground where still clamoring for a ladder that wouldn't reach anyway.... Murph's remote overload to trigger is safer; climber is not in batter's box. i had done this 100's of times previously, but totally dependent on ground control..

Kenny's descriptions are loaded with content and experience, I find them much easier to read if you add some missing words at the right places:
The
I
It
Was
are the most frequently occuring missing words to add that make his wonderful descriptions much easier to read and understand! He obviously puts much time and effort to create these posts, and it's worth the effort to read them! :)

Back