First Double braid splice using an old piece of Aztec Green

boconnor303

TreeHouser
The only splicing I have done is with Samson Treesave for Dynamic Cabling, but I had some time so I figured why not.

I failed on this one before I found the modified used rope instructions from Samson, and I currently only have a Yale Wire Basket Fid from cabling that I used for this splice... Need to get some other tools...

Second try came up with this. I think I could have cut the core closer to "X" and it might have cleaned it up a bit.
20181007_140653.jpg 20181007_140704.jpg 20181007_140734.jpg 20181007_140743.jpg

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Looks ok. Throat of the splice looks a bit thin. Good work! It'll become much easier.

Thanks for the feedback! I'm looking forward to finding some more rope around work to play around with. That and to buy a few fids and a splicing wand.

That's what i thought too... maybe do the hammer trick to get it fully seated... then some whipping!! Welcome to the house :)

Thanks guys, this one is definitely not for use but I'm excited to get learning! I'll take it to work and see if I can't get a little more bury and clean up some of that core sticking out.

Used old rope? If so, I'd recommend practicing on a few bit of new stuff first, used can be miserable to splice.

Also, be sure to end up with a nice sexy taper from the eye down. And bumps substantially weaken a splice.

Used old rope? If so, I'd recommend practicing on a few bit of new stuff first, used can be miserable to splice.

Also, be sure to end up with a nice sexy taper from the eye down. And bumps substantially weaken a splice.

It was all the extra I had so I figured I'd give it a go. I brought it to the shop where I could really pull on it and continued the bury... it settled a bit more nicely. I found some new ropes to try on (none of these splices are to actually be used) and my boss is going to find his splicing tools so I'll have the right stuff.

After a little more convincing..
bury2.jpg bury21.jpg

Atta boy!!! Nothing wrong with that at all!!! Yeah the final bury is the hard part. Personally I've found the pulling and bouncing is better than milking it.

Nice splice man! Throat looks a bit chunky, but not crazy. Used rope is a real s.o.b. splice game is only going to get easier for you.

Atta boy!!! Nothing wrong with that at all!!! Yeah the final bury is the hard part. Personally I've found the pulling and bouncing is better than milking it.

Yup, I agree. Shock load (by hand) the shit out of the final bury to help out. Won't damage the rope a bit.

I learned to splice double braid from Brion Toss years ago. Best instructor out there and I highly recommend his splicing DVD's. They are very clear and easy to understand. Much better than Sampson or New England rope instructions.

Here's a few more that are ready to be break tested. 2x Samson Tangent and my first Tachyon splice!

20190202_110848.jpg

Back