introducing the stangle

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Not sure if it was hung or not.. after the stangle cut failed to release, I just took a step back and looked at the situation on the ground and thought "I can get another 18" of drop here", which was in alignment with my "use everything to your advantage" philosophy.

Thank you Daniel for giving this cut a name. Been doing it forever just didn’t know what to call it. I like it for tops that have to spear down. It keeps the tips from whipping as it passes by

Its interesting, a spear cut with a pull rope.

No rope for me. Just a bit of assurance that I won’t be subjected to the sting of a twig accelerating at close to the speed of gravity. Chipper whip on a cold day is the only thing I’ve found that is close in comparison

Nah, spear cuts don't have hinging actions imo. They just release

Sure they do lean a bit as the kerf closes but no major hinging and no breaking of a hinge.

Shigo was clear about the importance of properly defining arboricutural (is that a word???) terms.Without clear definitions there is no way to have an intelligent conversation...

It's clearly not a spear cut..... you could call it a variation of the spear cut, which would make it "not a spear cut"... Spear cut refers to a cut small diameter uprights or nearly upright limbs... the saw is raced through quickly cutting at a very steep angle from top to bottom, so the piece drops straight off the cut without any forward rotation....

Here there is actually three separate cuts made to form a notch and back cut, with the intention of having the top move some 10-15+ degrees before the face closes and then having the piece drop off... This cut, the stangle can be used on large diameter trees and limbs... It's a much different cut than a spear cut though it may look similar to the non-professional.. Guess that's you boss !!! ;)

Seriously though, the distinction is important... could mean the difference between life and death... We all have worked hard to get where we are, so let's not get lazy with the language now!

thanks

Thank you Daniel for giving this cut a name. Been doing it forever just didn’t know what to call it. I like it for tops that have to spear down. It keeps the tips from whipping as it passes by

From the look of your avatar, you get your top side notches set up just right... me too! I always want to be able to trust my cuts, which starts with setting up a good notch, so I can trust my life to it when it's needed upstairs.... no place to run, so cut it right or die!

Back