Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: introducing the stangle

TreeHouser

Default introducing the stangle

This is a cut I have been using successfully for a few years.. I call it the stangle, a contraction of steep angle...

I first used it on a VERY dead maple, where climbing into the top looked a life threatening... There was a hole next to the tree where the top would fit if I could get it to lay out far enough so the limbs on the backside wouldn't hit me on the way down; then have the top drop like a stone, spearing into the ground similar to the spearing action on a vertical snap cut.

This 20 second video shows the stangle used to take a 25' pine top out, maybe 10-12" diameter... A top this big would have done a lot of damage to the lower white pine limbs (very brittle) on 2 trees if it had been laid out flat, but there was just enough of a hole right between the two trees, to get it to drop with no damage. In this case the bucket was out of reach as I was set up in the backyard and reaching over to the inaccessible side yard.

Since I don't climb anymore It's mostly used to take tops out from the bucket, though occasionally I will use it to shorten up a fall...

The hinge on the stangle cannot be use reliably to control side lean, so the piece either has to have front lean, or use a pull line as in this video...

And the cut can be a little tricky, especially when there is a tight window... I'll write that up is anyone wants to hear some details..

TreeHouse Administrator MasterBlaster's Avatar

I've always called that a spear cut. Now I gotta go back and update my diary!!!

Patron saint of bore-cutters Sponsor stig's Avatar

There is no hinge in the spearcut, at least not how I use it.
    This is pretty neat, if you need to pull the top.

Looks like it works, bad name though, call it the trapdoor or something.
    Iím condescending, that means I talk down to people.

Mick

I like it. Hinges over just enough to keep it all away from you.

Old Schooler Sponsor gf beranek's Avatar

variation of the Salami Cut. Fashioned for the same purpose. It's cool.

The salami cut has no hinge, does it? And made for use with chunks, I thought. Been awhile since I seen it in FGTW.
    Mastery is an illusion, grace a momentary gift, apprenticeship endless.

I came to the same solution when I had to remove a 20' cedar from in the middle of some similar sized pines. I didn't have climbing gear with me, and wanted to cut more trees, so I thought about it for a bit, cut branches as high as I could reach, and would then make both hinged and not hinged (as needed) salami cuts to bring the tree down vertically with minimal damage to the pines. I was thrilled when it worked.

I suppose it could look funny from the right view: one tree in the middle of many getting shorter and shorter without falling over.

Hydro clearance guys use that up around here. Spear cut they call it. Fast sharp saw and watch yer neck!
    Peter

Yea, cutting that angle is miserably slow without a good chain. Maybe a straighter angle like a ripping chain would help?