Macro Nature Photography

This whole thread is like a national geographic magazine. Complete with giant close ups of spiders so i can't have happy dreams at night... :/:

<- proper use of the dots

Burned!!!

I use them a lot... I am probably a serial ellipsisizer....and just to be mean, yes, that was actually four dots... Or was it eight?

Nutball, Patrick, Rem has got me paranoid now.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Anywhere in nature. In the shade of the woods or at night is best for a black background, but I take most of the pictures during the day. I'll walk through the woods, or go out into a field whether the grass/weeds are 3ft tall or 8" tall, just as long as it isn't recently mowed. You can find a tree and carefully examine the bark for about 5 min to dial in your awareness of tiny and camouflaged things, then little critters start appearing everywhere. Looking for little wild flowers is easy enough.

Demo of what it's like when I take pictures. This was a few feet from my house.
View attachment Macro coupler small compressed.mp4

Free hand 99% of the time, so wind is a huge factor, but my own shakiness is another huge obstacle. That was just a quick demo, so I wasn't as calm and steady as I would be nor were wind conditions ideal.

How about a 1200Ws ring light from Godox? A $450 head for their $1600 battery powered 1200Ws strobe. Comparing the base ring reflector to the base strobe reflector, you give up about .8 stop, with the silver ring reflector its on par.

1613491710571.png

Hardly Nutball level, but I did break out the macro lens today for some icy buds.

2-1-250s-8-90-dsc00126-jpg.108090

This second pictures is a 100% crop.
1-1-250s-8-90-DSC00126.jpg

Attachments

• 2-1-250s-8-90-DSC00126.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 50
And here's an iPhone 11 Pro Max screen, 2000% crop. Apple says the screen has 458 pixels per inch, it's amazing how close together and small the dots are compared to a television.

4-1-250s-7.1-90-DSC00262.jpg

I'm like a dog watching tv in these threads! That's nuts you can zoom in that much, i didn't even know that was possible

Hardly Nutball level, but I did break out the macro lens today for some icy buds.

2-1-250s-8-90-dsc00126-jpg.108090

This second pictures is a 100% crop.
View attachment 108091
My camera has a size advantage making it easily good at macro, but often times the money advantage wins out on color and clarity if nothing else. :thumbup:

I was considering trying to get a shot of the freezing rain pellets, but haven't got around to trying yet.

Kinda weird I can't type in the same post as a video. Anyway. Just keep in mind this picture from the first page when visiting Whoville in the video above.

1614922279533.png

Back