Dead Tree Rigging

Another nice one Reg. As the zipped load reached the rigging tree, the groundman pulled to bring the load farther down the line (I think). Was it just his bodyweight or was there a 2 to 1 or something similar? Also, did you chunk the spar or flop it?
I assume you didn't want to drop chunks onto a speedline rigged to a dead tree. And finally, how many gopros do you have and have you wrecked any?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Dave just used his weight, no need for 2:1. I had to bring the spar down to about 15 ft before I could fall it. I have 2 gopros. Ones seen better days. And a Drift camera too. They all really good cameras but they always being superceded now days bu newer versions. So you can't get new batteries when the old ones wear out.

Thanks. You just taught me something about end points for a zip line. Good process to deliver cargo to a high ending point over obstacles and then lower to the DZ.

At 3:46...at first I thought that was a guy line to the fir (?) behind you...but I think maybe it is the zip line high end that "transits" through where you are cutting...your work position area? That lets the live fir handle part of the load?

Thanks. You just taught me something about end points for a zip line. Good process to deliver cargo to a high ending point over obstacles and then lower to the DZ.

At 3:46...at first I thought that was a guy line to the fir (?) behind you...but I think maybe it is the zip line high end that "transits" through where you are cutting...your work position area? That lets the live fir handle part of the load?

Hey Gary. Its my climbline, doubleling as a support line when I took the top in the opposite direction. Otherwise it wasnt really doing a lot.

Here's a link to a $36 sport cam with two batteries included.

https://www.amazon.com/Crosstour-Un..._rd_t=40701&psc=1&refRID=THVGDFDGCK2H5PYJ5RE2

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

And here's another for around $50 that includes a remote control.

https://www.amazon.com/JEEMAK-Under...&qid=1536967061&sr=8-3&keywords=sport+cameras

You have to constantly search for the new stuff because the competitors in that marketplace are changing the offerings all of the time.

Tim

Excellent vid as always, Reg, thanks for posting, greatly appreciated.

That was an interesting cone set up for your chipper overnight, never seen that particular shape before relative to the vehicle

That was great to watch, thanks.

One thing, though.

Are you sure that tree really was dead?

Around here they would wait maybe 5 more years and then say it was green just last year, when the arbo showed up to bid on it.

How's the battery saw do for you? We've toyed with the idea, and a friend of ours swears by them. But I'm not sure if an Echo 2511T would be a better lightweight pruning saw than a Husqy battery-powered one... August seemed unimpressed with the Stihl battery saw.

Thanks all. Deader than dead Stig.

GP, the Stihl battery saw has less power but makes a neater pruning cut with that tiny chain. The Husky is great for limbing and logs not wider than its guidebar. Beyond that sucks the battery pretty fast. Does not make you any more productive, but the thing is you get used to the quietness, no tickover, no pullstart, no gas etc. You switch it on and off with your thumb as you pick it up or hang it back on your saddle. You can get a ton of work done and nobody even knows you've started. I was fortunate that I got to borrow one before I bought
....but soon realised it was well worth the money for me. Cant speak for everyone else but I like it a lot for the reasons above. Next best thing for me is a ported MS 150 which I have. Like an angy wasp when you mod it. Brilliant.
Wouldn't waste money on the echo

Nice rigging sir!
There is a store called Batteries Plus+ here in the states that has replacement batteries for just about anything.

Thanks all. Deader than dead Stig.

GP, the Stihl battery saw has less power but makes a neater pruning cut with that tiny chain. The Husky is great for limbing and logs not wider than its guidebar. Beyond that sucks the battery pretty fast. Does not make you any more productive, but the thing is you get used to the quietness, no tickover, no pullstart, no gas etc. You switch it on and off with your thumb as you pick it up or hang it back on your saddle. You can get a ton of work done and nobody even knows you've started. I was fortunate that I got to borrow one before I bought
....but soon realised it was well worth the money for me. Cant speak for everyone else but I like it a lot for the reasons above. Next best thing for me is a ported MS 150 which I have. Like an angy wasp when you mod it. Brilliant.
Wouldn't waste money on the echo

we just got one here at work. so far i like it a lot. it is a bit heavy but the battery lasted me all day on a commercial pruning job (all chainsaw cuts, all day). i think it will work awesome for pruning date palms. no air filter to fill with crap and no fumes gassing me out. funny thing about the quiet is its not loud enough the register on the sena noise cancellation so it sounds louder than the 200t when my boss calls me on the phone :lol:

Good thing -- makes you sound busy to the bossman! We got a new SENA unit for our climber and its new clear mic picks up the 200T exceptionally well, so now it sounds quite a bit louder than before!

Back