Page 142 of 146 FirstFirst ... 4292132140141142143144 ... LastLast
Results 1,411 to 1,420 of 1455

Thread: September 13 2018

I’m more the traditional, “drink every night/have to have a drink even at the thought of giving up” sort of alcoholic.
    Iím condescending, that means I talk down to people.

Mick

TreeHouser

Quote Originally Posted by Jonny View Post
    Love my Kindle too.
    I read until I fall asleep every night. My Kindle Fire has a blue light filter, so with that on and the screen dimmed a bit I can read in bed without disturbing my girlfriend, and donít have the blue and white light that can keep one awake.
    Really decent performance as a tablet computer too. Not spectacular, but damn impressive for under 90$.

I still occasionally read a hardcover, but the kindle is easy to get used to. Very cool having potentially hundreds of pounds worth of books in that little gadget.
    Thanks for sharing your experience with the Kindle Fire, Jonny. I was unaware of the existence of the "blue light filter". Is that some kind of screen that you have to snap on over the Kindle Fire screen, or is it accomplished by changing a setting on the Kindle Fire itself? The sleep experts say that the blue light put out by laptops and phones can disturb one's sleep cycle, so your answer to this question is of great interest to me.

On a side note, you can find electronic books that are free by typing in the search term "0.00" in the Amazon search box. This will return a list of all the books that cost 0.00 dollars. I think the copyrights expire on books after about 75 years, or so. At that point, anyone can make copies of books for free distribution. A lot of old classics are just waiting to be discovered.

Around Christmas each year Amazon seems to have a sale on the Kindle Fire, which makes it available for less than fifty dollars.

It's funny, but the last time I looked at the pricing on Kindles, the monochrome ones were more expensive. I deduce the reason is that Amazon is willing to eat more of the cost of the color units because it gives them a chance to try to sell video rentals to its customers.

Tim

I have both a kindle fire and a paperwhite, the paperwhite is much easier on the eyes. It literally almost looks like paper.
    Kyle

TreeHouser

Thanks for that comment, Kyle. I had an older version of the monochrome Kindle, and my impression of things lines up with yours. I get eye strain from looking at a laptop screen or an LCD TV screen, but I do not ever recall getting eye strain from a monochrome Kindle.

If all Butch wants to use the device for is reading books, the monochrome versions might be a good fit for him. If he wants to possibly be able to watch video, he would need one of the color versions, I think.

I'm hoping Jonny can chime in again, and tell us what other uses he finds for the color Kindle Fire tablet, besides reading books. Thanks in advance to anyone who cares to comment on this stuff.

Tim

P.S. If the color Kindle Fire is actually able to stream video, everyone should know that an Amazon Prime membership includes a decent amount of free movies and TV shows included in the price. Not all are free, the listing must show the Amazon Prime symbol. Others are available at variable prices.

One film I watched on there that I thought was pretty good was called "Shotcaller". I think it starred Nikolaj Coster-Waldau, who is the actor who played the swordsman brother in Game of Thrones. Good stuff.
    Last edited by Tim_B.; 1 Week Ago at 03:43 PM. Reason: Added content.

Tim, the blue light filter is just a setting, tap a button and the screen turns sort of orange. My phone has it also, IPhone 6S plus. On my old phone I couldn’t mess with it near bedtime, you will not sleep easy and any sleep you do get is going to probably be poor quality. The blue light kinda mimics daylight, and tells your body to wake up.
    I have an old kindle with no backlighting around somewhere. Still cool, just can’t read in the dark. A charged battery lasts for several days before needing a recharge.

TreeHouse Administrator MasterBlaster's Avatar

They are putting me on a new chemo... waiting to see how that goes.

Fingers crossed!

Any problems with your hands? My dad developed some neuropathy during chemo, specifically in his hands. He’d get severe pain if he held a cold drink. Heat hurt too, but cold was much worse. It was probably 1 certain drug that caused it. He had to wear gloves to hold the steering wheel in colder weather.

Every three rounds I get a new chemo concoction. I'm sure I'll be running up against the weirdest of symptoms eventually...

TreeHouser Sponsor

Those fuckers are just throwing what they have at ya! One of them is bound to help, if it don't kill you lol.

I actually have a lot of faith in doctors, if it is necessary. But elective stuff I stay away from. That's the reason I never got my eyes fixed. Rather live with contacts or glasses than be the one in a million who goes blind...

Throwing everything at me is all they can do with stage 4 cancer. Ever three months something new until they find that magic concoction or until I die - whichever comes first.