How's Business?

You guys are pros, reaping the benefits of being pros...cool to see that much happening. Can only mean lots of good pictures for the rest of us!

Sitting in front of clients talking prices when you’ve a packed diary is a much better feeling.

So true for any business or even women. Nothing has treated me better in my career than making a point to say no far more than I say yes. Clients can smell desperation.

In the case of tree work, you will go broke working yourself to death if you bid too low. You can go broke sitting at home, smoking weed, and watching Netflix all day. No need to work hard to go broke.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Early Christmas present

First job on Thursday was for a property owner, doing street side parking canopy raising and roof line clearance trimming of some pin oaks. The apartment building was right off of the university campus, but he's not a slum lord, as obviously he cares enough about his properties to do some somewhat elective tree work. He rolled by about 1/2 way through the job and gave the thumbs up, liked our work quality and was impressed at seeing the equipment & climber in action. He handed me a sheet of paper with a dozen addresses to his other properties and basically told me, "Go and do likewise!" About a week's worth of work all told, with the understanding "of do the work, then bill me."

And we were worried about filling in the Christmas to New Year's week -- typically hard to schedule work with people out visiting relatives or not wanting to be bothered with loud tree work while hosting family & guests or taking advantage of vacation time. No worries now -- booked till January!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
More jobs!

Now we got a 6' DBH white oak in Missouri near KCI airport confirmed and also a 2 day job on the Lake of the Ozarks in middle Missouri -- should be almost a vacation! Have friends nearby we can stay with or else possibly at the cabin where we will be doing the work. My friends own a cafe & bakery there, so should be some good eating, too!

Well, I've been doing trees part time for about the last 3+ years, and I've been fed up w/the political and nonsensical BS dealing with corporate life for at least the past 10, so about 2 months back I said to myself 'Not getting any younger, and you've already started climbing. So...."

I registered Red Oak Tree Service here in NJ, I'm already stocked up on saws and gear, and just had this little baby delivered this weekend:

ih_4700.png

Working w/the local Morbark dealer to add the chipper behind it.

As for the work, due to the freakish weather we've had here on the east coast the last decade causing major tree growth and the EAB scenario, I've already got 30 days of work booked, and countless others to look at/estimate. I see it as a win/win scenario for me until I decide to high tail it out of this overpriced, nanny state... ;)

- Brian

Nice! I started doing tree work in New Jersey also. Bartlett in Paterson. Where are you in NJ, and welcome to the Tree House!

Nice! I started doing tree work in New Jersey also. Bartlett in Paterson. Where are you in NJ, and welcome to the Tree House!

Warren, Somerset County. Still working on getting all the official business stuff (website, signs, official phone other than my cell, etc..), but should be in full swing by the end of this month. Still waiting to give my corporate job the big "see ya", and will milk them until I'm either canned or I just have everything in place to walk away. Send me a PM w/contact info if you'd like to discuss further.

in this season is exxxtremely slow,last year turnover was better the previous year,wich was better then the 1 before:yes:
mind we are a micro business,but not taking steps bigger then legs unless on stilts:beer:

Sometimes the milking works, so I've heard. They could give you an extra $5-10hr that really tempts you to stay, at least for a month or two to save up for a good getaway.

Sometimes the milking works, so I've heard. They could give you an extra $5-10hr that really tempts you to stay, at least for a month or two to save up for a good getaway.

If that was my scenario, it'd almost make sense, but I'm middle management w/a better than decent salary. I value my mental state, which is why I need to bail on the corporate BS ASAFP!

Thanks, was searching TreeTrader and ran across these guys in Illinois who had a whole slew of medium duty chipper trucks (no bucket yet; business insurance here is a nightmare). 2000 IH 4700, 210 HP, ~560 ft/lbs torque, 14ft chip body, and only 47K on the odometer. Should keep me busy for a good, long time. :dance:

Twenty years ago next month at the age of 35 I first started into tree work.
A limb went through my parents roof and I was asked to fix the problem.
The limb was ease but the whole was a different story so I suggested they call the insurance company, and they did.

When the tree crew arrived, they just pulled the limb from the whole it made and tossed it off the roof, then nailed plywood over the whole and calked it so water would not enter the attic.

I asked them abut fixing the roof properly and was told that's not what they are being paid for and its for the insurance company to sort out.
They got paid $700 for simply tossing a limb off the roof and patching a whole. It took them longer to set a ladder in place to access the roof !!!

I then asked about the rest of the tree & if they are going to remove it since it is clearly compromised.

They said that's not covered by insurance but they would do it for $3000, or $2700 if I pay cash. I was outraged and they were directed to leave !

Went to a Box store and purchased a discounted demo chainsaw (Echo 4400) and took the tree down myself.

Bucked it into firewood & sold it to pay off the chainsaw I had just purchased.

From that point, friends, coworkers & family needed tree word, I only did what I was comfortable doing but the need for work was increasing with more referrals.

I started goin on line, talking to kind tree company owners who were a huge help. Deal was, they give me some training and I refer to them work that's beyond my ability. It was a good way to start as an independent.

As time went of I learned more & more and found the "AS" website as well as "TM" and was an early member here at the "TH", (thanks to Butch for creating it from the then defunct "AS" site.

As time went on, I was able to do things I wasn't capable of a few years prior ...so fewer jobs were referred to that other tree companys.

Made a lot of money and was also able to help out a lot of people ...and enjoyed every minute while up in someone's tree.

As age crept up to me & coupled with a blown knee , I was forced to slow down to where I am at today.

I've been blessed with having a regular full time job and being able to do tree work as a "Hobby" these past 20 years.

My hats off to everyone here who has made a career out of this craft.

And I sincerely respect anyone who can actually do this work full time for a living and more so while trying to raising a family !!! WOW !!!

You guys are all awesome because you all are doing something others can only sit back on the ground and marvel at !

I'm just proud to have been a small part of all of this these past 20 year in the capacity of a "Hobby Climber" !!!

ps -had it not been for an internet tree site, I likely would be dead now. The life saving tree tip I learned was to tie a stopper knot in the end of my climb line.

Thanks again to Butch for creating such a Tree Site and welcoming me into "The House" !!!

HC

Last edited:
Good story.
TBH I wouldn’t have fixed the roof either!

I know that now but then I didn't understand the insurance process.

But I was offended with the guys pricing to remove the rest of the tree.
He was quoting twice the amount of what the job should have been worth.

Then the guy went on to suggest that every other tree company is booked solid for the next 3 month and if he didn't do it while they are on site, the tree could fall over destroying your mothers house and your wouldn't want that on your conscience would you' ???

His comments were a bit more than I could swallow...so I ended up doing the tree myself.

BTW, the tree had a healthy lean but not in the direction of the house, but in the opposite direction !

Guess I should be thanking this jerk because had it not been for him, I would never have gotten into doing tree work & tree care !

Been a more profitable year than any before.
Less employee hours, less stress, less loss, less damage, no injuries. No fixing anything of customers. Nobody drove one truck into another in my driveway.
Looking toward a new/ newer machine of some type, as my loader is almost paid off.

Snowmageddon helped.

Back