Yellow jacket refuge :)

I had a nest in the crack where the front steps meet the sidewalk. I packed mud/dirt in there for a couple days but the industrious little bastards kept digging it out. I had read about the soapy water here but hesitated. Finally, I filled a mop pail with hot, soapy water and it worked like a charm. A few stragglers that weren't there for the bath hung around for a day or two but that was it.

An old guy told me he used a shopvac filled with soapy water for a ground nest. Stuck it in the hole and left it for hours and says there were "thousands" when he dumped it.

Yellow jackets like nesting in sawdust piles. They did that next to the mill once, and decided to sting me. I ran over the pile with the three yard loader. They never stung anything after that.

Only if they can do it from the afterlife. I generally leave critters alone, if they leave me alone, but send out an attack party, and I fight back.

Dhkdx.jpg K b x c t.jpg I had a show Saturday and it was 42 miles from the largest tree in the state. So we had to drive over on the way home. 1.2 mile easy hike in. Something stung me on the elbow and flew away before I could see what it was. Thought it was a yellow jacket at first. About 10 seconds later I decided it wasn't. Had to be a hornet. I've been stung by everything but this hurt worse than anything. It was 24 hours later before it let up any. 3 days later and still stiff and sore and swollen. I've been in nests of yellow jackets and wasps and everything else but this was horrible. If there had been 8 or 10 of them things might have ended differently. I'm not allergic to anything so i continued the hike. Plus several miles of exploring while I was there. But we were over a mile down a trail and ten miles from cell service and about ten miles down a crooked dirt road that had quite a few lefts and rights. My wife would have never found the way out if she had to take over. I've never been in a situation that made me think about that before.

Did get to see some nice big Cypress though.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Yessir, it is. And also the story. You're right, we should think about some of these "what could possibly go wrong :)" situations realistically.

Bald faced hornets are nasty buggers. Very popular here in PA. I got bit bad by one back when I was clearing my property 24 years ago. When I come across yellow jackets hole they get burned out.

Back