Chainsaw Accident - (not gross)

Kenny Sanchez

Treehouser

So I was wrong, I did have two hands on my saw. Here's the video "Viewer discretion advised" ��

( I know by exposing this video i will be open to smart ass comments and know it alls, but wanted to show a simple accident could happen even with two hands on the saw and double tie in points.)

For those who don't know what i was doing: I have both srt rope runner and friction saver but left both in my other truck and i was not going to spike down 80ft off this spar. So I did an old school logger notch at the top to descend drt with zig zag.

And yes had two tie-in points, i knew i wasn't going to fall, it was all a natural human reaction to grab on to the tree.

So easy to happen...here you go....

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/iu-vc9nn0rY" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Well I guess you're right to anticipate smart ass comments. You shouldn't have done that. You should've trusted your tie ins and not thrown your hand into the spinning chain.

Nasty, hope there’s no lasting damage.

Try not to be like me and learn from the experience, thanks for posting.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Well I guess you're right to anticipate smart ass comments. You shouldn't have done that. You should've trusted your tie ins and not thrown your hand into the spinning chain.

I knew i was open to a lot of heat by sharing but don't care, I wanted to share a simple mistake could happen to any of us any time. I had two hands on the saw, two tie-in points, laynard slipped and my natural reaction was to grab into the tree knowing that there was no possible way i was falling, putting my hand right under the saw. A put crazy glue on it and taped, continued climbing 6 other trees we had to do.

Posted the video on a couple of facebook groups and has gone viral, yes all kinds of comments, but i knew that before i commited to open myself and shoe this video.

I was connected drt with zig zag to a branch prior to topping the tree, then i was going to do my notch and bail out. It was a stupid accident should had my laynard waist level but we live and learn.

So no stitches, cool - you got lucky. Yea sometimes natural reactions can suck! Still, I think my inner voice would never let me do that.

But, who knows!

... and i was not going to spike down 80ft off this spar. So I did an old school logger notch at the top to descend drt with zig zag...

So did you descend off the top cut notch? I used to do that often so trust me when I tell you it is a technic that you should retire. Zero need for it or DdRT any more on a basic removal.

The survival instinct is way strong. The subconscious brain overrides anything else when it thinks you're about to die.

How much does videoing while working take away from the safety of working?

So there I was, using poor work positioning, using an outdated technique, catching it all on camera for the audience...
So there I was, making sure I had three camera rolling when I took a 25'er to the ground, then kept shooting video for the audience, rather than saying Mom, Dad, I may die before talking to you again. I love you. ---Human

Personally, I can only not screw up so many things at one time.

Reg, as an example has done it all, big time.
I think that has has things down pat so much that video-ing for him is probably a very minor distraction. Reg, correct me if I'm wrong, please.

People need to focus on work at work to live out the career to retirement. Jerry's career-ending accident was just being in the wrong place at the wrong time, the crush zone. He's fortunate to be a man of many talents, and having them well underway at the time of injury.

Kenny, glad you're okay, and glad you're back on the board. Been missing you since February or so! Did you get a chance to take a peek at your MBTV thread? We took it for a little turn while you were gone!

Back