How is this Rigging Configuration for Pulling a Tree?

GP, great point... yeah I stopped watching those... but I do like watching Buckin' some. As I recall he is clean-mouthed... and August Hunicke likes him which starts me off liking him.
I don't have a particular problem with Buckin Billy Ray, per se -- it's just that I don't go out of my way to watch his videos. Having a family with 4 young children and working full time makes my entertainment and instruction/learning time much tighter, so I'm pretty selective in what I spend time watching. I've seen a handful of Buckin's videos and have come to the conclusion that there are far better teachers out there (yes, watch August and for sure also Reg C for smoothness of technique!). Plus, the childlike glee is a bit lost on me when applied to tree work. Yes, "I live for that -- the shockwave" but at the end of the day, it's a hard, sweaty way to make a good living. That and as I've mentioned before, our crew would never drop a tree on an outbuilding or shed, even if the homeowner explicitly gave us permission. Looks highly unprofessional and makes clean up all that much harder.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
... I'm pretty selective in what I spend time watching...
Yeah, even though no children in house now, and not dependent on full time "employment" for a living at this point, I still try to make most of my computer/YouTube time count.

Step 1
wash truck,
go get white paint for $6,
3 shake,
4 spray without painting lights.

5. $5.99 and half an hour later, have a one-color truck. From 40', like when you pull up for the bid, it's one color and decent looking work truck.

Go crazy, get some sand paper, some primer, some masking tape, and you're up to $18, an hour of super easy work that will last longer and hold up better.

Go crazy, VistaPrint has magnetic door signs for $15+-.

:lol::thumbup:

magnetic signs already near top of todo list.... painting now in radar.

Don't overdo it though or people will think you're charging to much. ;)

:|::lol:

haha, even after some sprucing up my truck will still be beat up enough looking to communicate "approachable".

=============================

Maybe this thread is squeezed dry?

Might not answer back again to prevent artificially bumping it over and over.

But thanks everyone for ALL the feedback and help!

Lol it's not like that man, and continuing questions or anything really isn't a bad thing at all. There's no such thing as an artificial bump, and please continue to answer back. That's why this forum exists, and why we all check in. The more you talk and read here, the more you learn :) and that goes for everybody, not just you man.

Lol it's not like that man, and continuing questions or anything really isn't a bad thing at all. There's no such thing as an artificial bump, and please continue to answer back. That's why this forum exists, and why we all check in. The more you talk and read here, the more you learn :) and that goes for everybody, not just you man.

Got it, Kyle, Butch, Gary... Thanks!

This is really a great site/resource and you guys (and gals sometimes) are an invaluable help in my small endeavors as I endeavor to persevere.

wheel chocks on truck

Yes! Thanks! :thumbup:

Burnhams_Post_to_Me_about_my_Rigging_at_the_Taylors_20180913_075343_1536843466286_resized.jpg

A copy in my office.
A copy in my workshop.
A copy in my truck.
Maybe a laminated copy in my chainsaw tool box.

...and again, thanks, Mr. Burnham.
This is a dangerous undertaking.

wheel chocks on truck
YES, especially if using as anchor, then i also favour turning front wheels so arcs away from pull /tighter if moves, rather than neutral or towards pull /looser.
Can cut own chox from hardy stumps, eye bolt end with 6' rope so can drop and kick under tire, leave rope over bedside for no bending retrieval also!
>>of course can make to order onsite, would always chock if using truck as anchor.
supporting-vs-wrenching-amgles-of-push-pull.png

When Brion Toss speaks of losing a capstan/winch handle;
he means like 400+ years ago a few salt soaked men alone on ocean without electricity, nor gas, food running out, already buried someone at sea , trusting the winds and waves, needing high tension adjustment of rope tensions to sails and capstan/wench handle breaks or gets washed over board in storm so this is how you save your azz and bro's type of losing winch handle shituation lost and starving on ocean desert;ain't no search party coming for these guys.....
Sweat/swig also good for quick tightening any rig by section by climber between holds and friction points and into Porty by ground control.
If stuck and pulling tree and can't pull harder, mite try anchoring line and jumping on rope HARD, FAST across rope column for massive force pulse thru tight line.
>>this of curse leads towards 1 man operation, but should really not swim or work/specifically climb alone.
In many shituations cross-axis leveraging of line is risky foe you face,
this is the turn around where can trick foe force can become life saving friend,is powerful either way!
support-legs-should-not-spread-past-120-degrees.png

NOTE SPECIFICALLY FIRST HALF OF INCREASE DEFLECTION TO 45 DEGREES COS DROPS 29% ALMOST SAME AS DROP IN LAST 15 DEGREES, LOTS MORE AMPLITUDE OF CHANGE IN COS COLUMN CALC CLOSER AND CLOSER TO FLAT !!
Sorry if redundantly repeated again,but trying always say better for your viewing pleasure!
Note again the clean, sweet, simplicity of this mountain/rescue build with pristine legs and long,sharp beak/teepee serving out proper support column. Weakness of seam buried away from the hits, also left in an inspectable 'pocket' position on load side. Same gear deployed better for a target of support column against pull:
image006.jpg

This doesn't wrench grip as tight on tree as previous/ClockHitch type pulls, uses architechture for support column column against pulls as chosen alternative instead. So we allow 'seam' to seat to tree keeping it buffered from primary loading hits for strength and easier untying, is inspectable AND gives some grip back around tree for security!

Back