Chainsaw carving

SeanKroll

Treehouser
Anyone do any chainsaw carving?

I had to remove a cedar. The moving company van was not secured and rolled own the hill, one mover in the back.

I got a local Consulting arborist involved. The insurance company offered $1500 as compensation, sure that she would want to keep the tree (1/4-1/3 circumference of bark blown off). She has a spare $7800+ to spend on the carving to top the stump, for loss of value to her property by the end. She can afford a super pro carver to make a nice lighthouse, for atop the stump, which will still protect the house from vehicles for the rest of her lifetime.

My first employee's dad works across the state. He would do a $100 bear in about half-an-hour, and beats stump grinding and cleanup.

It would be a good hobby and a good additional service, I think.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Really? I didn't know Willard was.

Mushrooms are the easiest starting point, I think. I've been advised to continue to be mindful throughout that it is not becoming too phallic, unless the audience...

Willard, Canadian, pretty good at a lot of things...ego issues got him canned.
I dismantled a fir last week, the stick was a good size (for here) so rather than just dice it for firewood I called my friend Eddie, he's an ex-logger, tree Faller and world class chainsaw carver.
He's going to take the log, mill most of it and carve the HO an owl from the small bit at the top.

I don't recall Willard doing carving either. But obviously I recall him. We butted heads more than once. lol lots of respect for his experience and knowledge , I just don't recall him being a carver?

If he did do any carving we know it wasn't on the west coast. Lol. All you had to do was mention the west coast and he got bent out of shape. Heh it's not my fault prairie trees are tiny. :D

Lol i used to work for a piping company that tried to have a tree carved to resemble pipe fittings, some people noticed that it was quite phallic, and so they cut it down....

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
So next chance you all get, carve a mushroom and take a pic. Carving it while on the stump is much easier, then cut if free if you want.

When I worked in a wilderness program, everyone ate with sticks, some were very nice hand-carved wooden spoons, others were sticks. Staff compared weekly spoon carving efforts for fun after returning to base.

I have tried carving a bit here and there. Redwood is nice and soft, hardwoods suck and take forever. Really hard on the hands. Think white fingers

Back