fat and old still getting the job done

Our old grinder (SC252) has served us well, but we're definitely at a main maintenance point in its life cycle -- lots of new parts (bearings, belts, teeth, pockets) -- Kohler engine is still solid, though. I hate it when you hit something completely unexpected and unseen -- like the old utility guy wire anchor 4" below ground, the large rock under the main roots of the big cottonwood... hidden reefs. No amount of pre-digging could've exposed them.

We get the same thing here, Jerry.
Old cables and wires in the woods that have just been left there, when their days of usefulness were over.
Still, I guess it is better than to be working in the forests of Flandern, where they still find unexploded WW1 shells poking out of the ground.

3 rg100s, mighty impressive. Did you try other high HP self propelled grinders and found Rayco to be the best?

With 3 machines I presume you run one and employees run the others?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Good questions... I worked my way up the rayco ladder and never looked elsewhere... Machines are reliable and I love the customer service... definitely over equipped... Almost a "collector" as I rarely run two machines the same day... It's a log story not to be floating around cyberspace, but suffice it to say that I never would have bought the third machine unless we were about to get hit by EAB and rayco wasn't about to discontinue the model due to emissions regulations.. When I bought that last machine I believe there were only 3 left on the east coast... The oldest (2014) machine needed some work after which I was going to sell it.. Finally got around to the repairs this spring, took it out for a week and loved it so much I just hate to get rid of it...

Nice.

I have a 2001 RG 50, love it but would love an rg 100 more!

Good thinking but I never buy used.

Stig and all,

Big sugar maple removal in the front yard.. wide canopy hanging over service wires, street primary, house, and jap maple... Medium Norway maple in the wide open backyard.. Load and a half of chips which is something over 30 yards... all wood cut and piled by street for log loader pick up, both stumps ground and grindings moved to backyard wild area... 90 degree high and 85% humidity...4 man crew... median age 56...

When I started in this biz in 1982, if you were in your mid-thirties you were the old man on the crew..

then after the boys (actually old men) went home I stopped and sold a $425 stump grinding job, and finished all but one stump before dark... ate dinner on the way home and walked in the door at 9:55

My experience is that we do not lose the ability, BUT, the recovery takes longer.

This is often clear-cutting. Environmental impact...pick up your trash, sorta, after stripping the land.

mehhh...maybe. Its more work and money.

If you were leasing the property from me I wouldn't tolerate crap being left. I'm thinking all of that was the old school logging days.

Hey a different time in history. Back then the land and resources were endless, folks were lucky to be able to extract a living. Life was hard. Seriously hard.

Seankroll, 'environmental impact' , altissimus, ' same with tires', both of you are reflecting an attitude which has no relation to the reality of that time in history.

But hey! Lets condemn them without any understanding of history!

'We who ignore history are doomed to repreat it'.

When I was on Enterprise (back in the 70's) we used to toss our garbage in the ocean once we were so many miles out.

They stopped doing that a long time ago, thank goodness!

They still toss paper and food waste over board. First time I saw them tossing huge paper garbage bags over I was shocked to see all that crap just floating away.

Back in the 90's tons of garbage was left by loggers on the ranges. No idea why they logged impact ranges, all the unexploded rounds and metal in the trees.

Paper I can understand - food waste probably even helped. We dumped EVERYTHING back then. The only rule was to punch holes in the garbage bag.

I was there when this was going down. We didn't have to push anything over because we were providing air support, not being a taxi like a couple other older carriers were. I was so young... 18.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/ZJgcLckmdxQ" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/sRqm0yN4atc" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

When I AM in the bucket, undercuts are the exception instead of the rule...

Back