Stihl MS462

They have them at the warehouse but are waiting for a supply of repair parts before releasing...so they say.

Bought a new Kombi 131 something powerhead.

My 130 started acting up during a storm job. Storm work is definitely a time for a pole saw. I'll try a tune up. It owes me nothing. A new plug, air and fuel filter and it might be a fine.

I didn't ask the price when I ordered mine. My dealer treats me fairly and I don't beat him up on price. Makes it much easier for me to ask for a favor once in a while, and I don't really spend much on parts there anyway. I'm not going to beat him down $20 on a saw sale. He's much more likely to give me his best price when I don't ask.

I'm going to guess in the $1100-1200 range?

Hmmm... $600 to rebuild our 2nd 372XP again! Or $900 for a new one. Or $1079 for an MS462... Decisions, decisions. Should get one out of NH, no sales tax.

SS, is that PowerHeadOnly?

I thought that there was an MSRP that everyone had to stick to, and 'freebies' would make up any incentive????

1079 might be the 16" option not on the pic above ? It was listed in the chainsaw repair group but not on this OH tag

I've also heard certain legit dealers buy the saws themselves, and so are allowed to price how they want. Maybe not for Stihl? I can't remember where I read that. Do they usually drop the price a bit on new releases after a few years or less?

Picked mine up this afternoon. Yes, it's about the same weight as my MS440 and it cut like a banshee on the 2-3 test cuts I made. Anybody want to buy a Husqvarna 372?

After over a dozen tanks this thing is still impressing me. A banshe she is. Let’s see how long she last. I did manage to break one of the cover screws already. Dumb ass quarter turn things. Don’t really know what I did wrong but it popped right quick. Unless it becomes a problem I’ll call it a learning curve. As of right now Stihl made it right. My cost was a bit over a grand but I get treated well by the dealer. They might have sold it at cost for all I know. My reviews go a long way for them. Doesn’t hurt that the company I work for spends a hell of a lot of money there.

Over here they are $1900AUD, I got $1000 on my 461 trade in.
Nice, nice, nice saw.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Put a little silicone grease on those corner screws.

I've only found one thing wrong with it so far and we have used them over 6 months in logging so that is about 1000 hours on each.

The outside dogs are too weak for logging, we've broken several.

But they don't cost much to replace and I think they'll hold up better for arb work.

Is that from being dogged in while the tree starts to move? Strong, non-flaky bark in beech, I guess. Conifers don't seems very likely to pulling dogs off.

The American versions don't come with outside bumper spikes. I'm going to have to order them. Of course Stihl makes 3-4 different sizes so you can't just look it up and pick one of the parts numbers.

I changed the dogs on my 462 to a less aggressive type, the bottom spike was always getting stuck in stuff, the bed of the truck, the ground, my leg.
I don't do loads of felling so should be ok.

Brian, PM me your address, I'll send you my outside bumper spike, payback time!

The American versions don't come with outside bumper spikes. I'm going to have to order them. Of course Stihl makes 3-4 different sizes so you can't just look it up and pick one of the parts numbers.

Who do they think we are? I think outer spikes are the most important for any tree felling saw if I had to choose one. But, I think 2 should be standard on all except climbing saws where they can stick with the inside one only. Echo does the same: optional outer and not even an inner on smaller climbing saws!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Relax, guys.

We have to order them, too.

Feel better now?

Back