Stihl MS462

Stopped by my local dealer today to inquire about the 462. He said it's not available here. Probably something to do with the emissions. So I bought a new 201.

I heard the factory stock 201TCs were decent. Our 201T is a bit anemic, for sure -- and it's good & broke in! Sometimes the climbers race up their respective trees so they can call for a climbing saw and get the 200T first!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
We all get that early morning hankering for a new saw once and again.

Mine was stolen, all right.

We were working a private, posted, no trespassing forest, so we just left the saws and everything else on the logging site when we packed up and headed home to camp.

Some trespasser with a good taste chose to steal mine out of a bunch of 441 and 661s.

We are still loving the 462.

I let the apprentice use mine to fell a smallish beech tree this week, since his 18" bar was a tad too short for an inexperienced faller.
He said: " That is like driving a sports car".

Best God damned saw I've ever run, bar none!

Don't get me started on what I've run in 40 years of logging and 35 years of arb work, but it has been a lot and not all the same colour.

Seems if a saw theif came in and stole one saw you got lucky or something? Unless they were all in different places and the others couldn't be found. Otherwise it would be real odd to steal one saw. Unless it was a one armed thief.

Sucks regardless.

Theiving of saws always remind me of my uncle Charlie who did the treework with me. He always worked the woods and when I was a wee lad we were neighbours. My dad and him are brothers and we lived right beside each other in the local subdivision. Well one night my uncle Charlie wakes up in the middle of the night and goes and gets a glass of water from the kitchen faucet. While doing so he notices a thief making off up the stairs to the street with two of his saws. Well hell and fury! He was out the door and up the street yelling and cursing and chasing him to beat the band. The thief wisely enough dropped the saws and kicked it into high gear(not before my uncle got a decent look at him though and later chased him outta town, but that's another story lol). Well uncle chuck ended the chase and retrieved his saws one in each hand and carried them home. By this point many neighbours had been roused from all the ruckus and there's my uncle Charlie strolling home with a saw in each hand in his birthday suit. Many a chuckle over the years has been had from Charlie two hairs wandering down Catt ave at 2am with a saw in each hand buck naked. Lol.

Pure luck of the 2am thirst. Probably had consumed some dehydrating beverages earlier in the day. So one might say that beer saved the day! Or the saws atleast.

Pretty sure sometimes when they steal only certain thing it has to be someone you know or been in your shop etc before.

Post from stolen board in 2011 on my website to show what I mean. = Stolen Husqvarna 346 with ported 357 cylinder and carb, two ring piston. I am sure that it was someone that was in my shop and ran that particular saw. The saw was sitting with a ported 357, ported 359, ported Dolmar 7900, Ported Jonsered 2171. New in the box Husqvarna 390 and a new in the box Stihl 200T. The only saw taken was my 346, the ugliest saw in the bunch. They also stole my good old Eagle fuel can with mixed fuel. I had 3 of those cans in my shop, none marked, one had regular gas , one mixed and one had diesel, they only took the mixed fuel.

Do you keep your eye out for eagle metal gas cans? I've come across them at times and passed them off to others as I don't use them anymore.

By the way the rubber spout and stopper is available again on ebay.

Some saws troubles lastly.
My ms440 died again a few weeks ago and I don't want to resurrect it. I'm fed up to put money in it and get nothing worth in return.
My new 201T was stolen just a week ago.
Today, the 20" bar of my 066 wrecked its bearing sprocket just before the first cut. Of course, the other 20" bar stayed at home with the ms440.
To buck down the horse-chestnut after the ms150T's work, all I had was the 066 with a 30" bar. Not exactly fun to swing that aloft.

So, I took out of the van's hidden room my brand new ms462C, to at least save up on the total weigh with the 30" bar. Then I climbed up the forked spar and bit the wood.

Well, just WOW !
Straight out of the box, it completely amazed me. It sounded to me like a ported saw. And not even broken in. Good torque and good speed, revs up no problem when asked, even in the cut. It was only a soft wood, very watery, but still, the saw did a great job.
Finally, the day ended pretty well.

Thanks Stig for the advice on this chainsaw.

Back