Stihl MS462

Damn with all these glowing reviews who doesn't want one. When I sold out my business I kept two 46's and a '38 for my personal use and I still find myself trying to justify one of these beasts for cutting my own firewood. Lol.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Apart from their tendency to get stolen and the fact that they don't hold up well to having large Beech trees dropped on them, I'm still in love:)

Damn you, Stig...I was hoping you'd offer a counter-argument. Now both Justin and I will have to drop by our respective local Stihl shops and beg for a deal based on long past business :D.

Do you really use saws enough these days, that it is worth throwing money after a new one.

There is your counter argument.

Well I don't want that saw if someone's just gonna steal it. ;)

I like the reviews a lot and am amazed that they shaved close to 2 lbs off the weight of the 441 with a noticeable increase in power.

I'm very much looking forwards to that.
My dealer has put an order in for 2, just to be first on the waiting list.
He has promised I can have one of them to test run.

We need two more heavy felling saws, but instead of buying 661s, we'll make do with what we have and wait for the release of the 500iW.

Get one for each of the company owners and pass our old 661s on to the apprentices.

Do you really use saws enough these days, that it is worth throwing money after a new one.

There is your counter argument.

Of course not...but some things are worth having just because they are worth having. A certain Jaguar comes to mind.
:D

462's are in Canada west side. Few folks sending them this way. Little cheaper too in USD. About 1050 or 1150 shipped PHO depending on if R or not.

Found it on my CR website and chainsaw repair group.

For Sale : Stihl MS462CM / MS462CM-R / MS462CM-Arctic / MS462CM-Arctic-R

Stihl Canada has a limited number of MS462CM & MS462CM-R in stock now and a limited number of Arctic due in the end of November. If you want to beat the wait in the USA or get the not available Arctic Models I can help you out. Pricing is PHO US Funds by PayPal Friends and Family or we can work out an amount with added fees.

If you are concerned and want references there are a few around here that have already bought others in the past.

Offering of Arctic saws is not limited to 462's I can get them all.

MS462CM $1125.00 USD
MS462CM-R $1150.00USD
MS462CM-Arctic $1275USD
MS462CM-Arctic-R $1300USD

(You may have seen me post a slightly lower post over the weekend but I found out this morning that my shipping estimate was too low. The 4 I sold on the weekend will be honored at those prices but future ones I need to be better covered on shipping)

It is kinda cute to me, that you call them "Arctic"

Here they are simply marketed as pro saws.

Can't sell a saw without heated carb and handles to a pro faller around here.

That is BTW one problem with the 462.
They have made the wire from the handle to the switch too short, so it breaks off.
Then you solder it on and it breaks off at the other end.
We've had all ours repaired under warranty, but it is still a hassle.

Going to share that with the folks. Least they will have a clue what happened. Thanks.

I can elaborate on that, having just brought the replacement for the one I crushed in for a handle heat repair.
It is the wire that runs through the rear handle that is supposed to fit in a groove.
Being too short, it jumps out of the groove nad vibrates loose.

At least that is how I understood it.
I don't know much about saw repair.

I kill trees for a living.
Killing saws is just a by-line.

I was using my 462 yesterday, felled a couple of 20" trees the day before, then set about cleaning them up...it was hot (28c ish) and my saw started to run a bit rough then conk out. I wondered if it was trying to reset to the hotter temperatures? After about 20 mins or so it seemed to settle down again.
I didn't have the manual with me to check about resetting the carb.

However, suffice to say, I picked that saw up in preference to my 260 to limb and buck smallish branches for firewood, it is just so nice to run!

We ran a 36" on it yesterday in a Tulip poplar.
That worked fine.
Full comp chain, too.

I would not like to run more than a 25" on a regular basis here in hardwoods on one. Balances beautifully with a lightweight 20" or standard 18". I am hanging out for the future release of the 500i as I am awash with mid range saws.

I stopped at my local dealer on the way home from work today just to see if they had a 462 yet. They did... and now I do.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/rbOI7wt-CxE" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I won't need it until later next week; just a bunch of pruning jobs for the next 8 days.

I also stopped at my dealer. He wasn't really current on the status but he called the distributor. They had a few in stock, I will have mine by the end of the week.

I need another saw like a hole in my head, but I'll make room for it somewhere.

Back