Oak removal

Reg!!! Gawdamighty! That's one of the baddest picts I have seen in awhile...cool.

I do not like messing with big spars like that, have not roped one that big before. Good show there.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Thanks, that was a beech. Heavy. The guy who ran the ropes that day, Gaz, committed suicide by hanging a couple weeks ago. Early 50s.

Faaarkk! Thats a big piece to catch

I cannot think of words that excel those of Fiona's on this. Maybe double faaaark :). Anyway, when I saw that pic Reg, I was quite impressed.

Sorry to read of the suicides of these talented ropemen. A mystery and a sad loss.

WTF! No way! Gaz! Damn. RIP old mate.

True Ben. Andy called the next day. I shouldve thought to let you know, sorry.

Thanks all for the kind words about Gaz. He was a rough fella with a rep that preceded him. Probably beat up as many men as Ive had posts here. But at work he was always a diamond. Always respectful of his co workers, and good for a laugh. He also had a rep with us for sending trees sideways. On his first day he put one right on top of Andys chipper....we never let him live that one down :D
I can only imagine a person mind must be in a terrible desperate state to do what he did in the end. I dont feel particularly bad about it, right or wrong, because he had 50 + years and took the decision to end it himself. Not like visiting a childrens hospice, where little kids cope and see out their death sentance before some even reach their teens. I dont believe the heartbreak is even comparable. So, yeah, f___ it.

The only thing that interrupted the visual poetry for me was seeing the rigging lines run against your chest a couple of times. Was your positioning intentional, to get an overhead view and direct the ground crew with hand signals, since you don't use a SENA? Our climber is generally to the side or back when most rigging operations are running. Maybe a bit harder on horizontal oak growth, though!

I just watched that footage again out of curiosity. At no point does the rigging line touch my chest as far as I could tell. Perhaps you were mistakenly seeing the climbline

I think I was referring to the 3:24-3:26 time frame in the video.
But I'm sure we can chalk it up to "flattened perspective" of the camera.

The ropes resting on the crotch below. Its not touching me

Back