What kind of economical wood oil or other wood finish for pieces of funky wood?

SeanKroll

Treehouser
I have an idea, and need an economical (not to say 'cheap') finish for something like a wood organizer that would be used indoors, so any scent/ odor in the longer term should be pleasant.

I have lots of figured wood chunks to play with.

Thoughts?

I've always liked boiled linseed oil -- it's a great "minimalist" finish without a lot of VOCs or strong odors while using. It doesn't have a glaring sheen or gloss to it; quite a satin look to the finish. I did a stint at a woodshop making rustic reclaimed pine furniture and that's what we used there. Will the pieces see much wear, or just be decorative?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Its mainly maple, so a light colored finish.

I just was messing with a piece an put olive oil on it, which darkened it.

I've used boiled linseed oil on tool handles on trail crews. Seems smelly, no?

That's why I was asking what the intended use was for. Butcher block counter tops and cutting boards I've used mineral oil for. The linseed oil smell goes away in a few days. I've also used paste wax for some projects and for a high gloss table top, can't beat tung oil's resilience and glow.

I hope so! She is on one of my wife's cookbooks 'Cravings' she is a SI swimsuit model. Really good wingies recipe.

My buddy who carves spoons uses Walnut oil, beautiful finish that really shows off the grain. I saw a bottle at the health food store for maybe 7 bucks

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I guess I can tell a story with a straight face.

One morning, in a spike camp for a restoration project, I was drinking apple juice out of a bowl, like 8-12 oz, because my coffee cup was occupied with coffee. Later this guy asked me what I was drinking earlier, at breakfast. I said coffee. He said it looked like olive oil. I said, "oh, ya it was olive oil" realizing it looked like I was gulping it down. With 5-10 minutes of him not wanting to believe me, but continuing to ask, I kept saying how it was so good for your hair and skin, and I had it in his hand. I said you obviously can't start at that amount, but you work up to it, starting with a little and then a bit more each day. I had him starting with and ounce or so.

Couple hours later I poured apple juice in my cup in front of him, with a cough.

Back