MS361 puffing smoke, smells like burning oil.

SeanKroll

Treehouser
After getting a new carb kit, I think my employee might have topped up fuel in the oil tank, and oil in the gas tank.

I've flushed the fuel tank and put in fresh gas, but it still puffs smoke. I keep thinking if I let it run, it will clear up.

Maybe flush the tank again.

Is my carb likely screwed up if oil was run though?

Is there any other reason that it would puff white smoke and smell like oil?

Flush the tank again, then if you are worried, give the carb a quick clean. I have never experienced permanent or long term damage from it.

That sucks. I hope the bar oil doesn't seize the rings. I'd be inclined to remove the spark plug and soak the cylinder in premix.

My dad managed to oil the gas and gas the oil not only once but twice in the same week .He was over 80 years old at the time .It didn't do any long term term damage .The short term remedy was to use WD -40 as starting fluid which at the time used propane as a
propellant .I'm not sure if it's still used .
At any rate once the oi was sucked out of the carb it ran just as well as it ever did .Really puffed smoke though until then .

I did that too, but I use cannola oil for the chain. It doesn't work any better in the gas tank than the mineral oil, but I gives some interesting smell afterward. Suddenly you feel hungry, looking for lunch !:D

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
One of the give-away clues was the canola smell.

I'm going to try to fix that today, amongst other things, like a starter motor.

Most times when this happens. Make sure to change the fuel filter too.

s029sa.jpg

Thank you!!! I hadn't considered that. DuHHH!

Really haven't had time to sit and think about it. It been on the shelf for a while, but would like to run it again. Its a good saw in softwood, for its size. 461 is a bit much in the tree, often, since I rarely firewood stuff down.

Spoke with my neighbor, the retired logger.

Learned that when fuel sits in saws, the gas evaporates, leaving the oil, making the oil richer and richer in the mix, leading to smoke.

My ms460 sat (461 getting run), waiting for me to get clutch springs and then not be able to find the clutch drum, resulting in me buying a new drum. Finally, I ran it... smoked like mad.

Dumped the fuel and refilled. Cleared after some run time.

50 years of logging taught him a thing or two.
Listen to elders!!

Or not Motomix...:D
Motomix evaporates the same as the regular gas, living the concentrated oil in the carb (and all the crapp from the additives). I don't see much of a difference, beside the better chimical stability.

Had one here two day's ago, started on primer, but no run.
It was full of oil, tank, filter, hose, carb...
Cleaned it out, changed filter and membranes and it started on pull number three.
If membranes were good they would stay, but they were old and no good so I replaced them, hose and filter, mall cost to pay for it as it I had it on bench anyway.

Back