MICHOACAN hitch

LeafCollector

Treehouser
michoaca.jpg

Has to be the most secure hitch iv'e experimented with.
30" eye to eye, 5 wraps. nice and tight on the pulley(hitch climber unavailable for this trial).
anyone else like it?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
quite sure ill never get that 4 min back trying to discern "guild the lilly"
are you studying for "who wants to become a millionaire"?;)

gild the lilly! worse than getting "rick rolled"!

as a rookie climber that struggles with setting these friction hitches, i found this one to be the most intuitive for me to tie and set.
as an added bonus, it keeps my pulley less than 2" from the hitch.
I've used the blake's, 4 and 6 wrap prusik(flipline adjuster), VT(miserable fail), and the swabisch.
i guess a better question would be, is their a reason not to use this hitch? There are so many to choose from.
Thanks

All I can say is don’t get too obsessed with different hitches, ie. finding the magic one that will suddenly click, and it’ll all be good.

A Blake’s or whatever you use is fine, the difference between that and this Mohican is minimal, it’s not so much about how or how quickly you get there, it’s what you do when you get there that matters.

It looks kinda like a knut which is what I use. I read about this hitch years back, never tried it...lots of folks were bragging it up then. Good picture...I may see how it does.

Distel always worked great for me.

HH is the last working hitch I needed to learn, but I do keep an open mind.

A blake's great for a no extra gear, second system on your tail.

I might actually use it next week for the first time. Grand fir is a pitchy bastard.

I tried it last year for a week or so. I like it but it seems to bind up and is kinda hard to break loose after sitting in it for a little bit. It does grab reliably. I would recommend it for someone starting out. No matter what I try I always go back to the VT and wonder why I ever tried anything else. But that is after years of fiddling with the VT and getting it just right for me.

For me variations of a theme;
BUT, there is a lot of fine tuning to taste; so trying different things can reveal right spice combination;
also reveal aspects of what already using; if'n you have eyes that check both ways on nylon highway!

Can be a great hitch, esp for newish climbers because it always sets and holds. After hunting for the prefect combo I finally settled on the VT, but when I was green, the security I got from the michoacan really helped

Gerry said something along the lines of ... "All hitches are basically the same , the differences are the ways the ends are fixed back" ... ( I may have it wrong but my book is gone and it's been a long week )

Wraps and braids....

I started on VT and been all over with different stuff.

Figured out the VT is what works for me.. with the wrench or just ddrt.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Wraps and braids....

I started on VT and been all over with different stuff.

Figured out the VT is what works for me.. with the wrench or just ddrt.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Ditto.

The thing i have always kept in mind my whole time climbing (not nary as long as some here) is that every person/climber is unique. Thus one thing that works for one, may not another. Different ropes, hitch cord, pulleys, knots, climber style, weight and comfort levels play into the equation. Find what works for you, through patience and practice, and work in parameters that feel safe and comfy for you.
Next thing i kept in mind, there is always probably a better safer way to do the job. Some of that depends on your own comfort level. Just dont get too distracted by every shiny new piece of kit that is the new bees knees. Stay patient, watch how it may or may not work for others and move into kit based on those facts. Try it with open mind safely, and see how it fits you. Remember this may include changing climbing techniques and styles to work with the kit. Like, my climbing style SRT is different than Ddrt, but they meld nice for me with a hybrid devise. But i will tie a blakes in an open or closed system in my tail or another rope sent up to suit my needs in double crotching should the need arise.
Be like the blade of grass that can bend with the wind, but remains rooted in fertile soil. The climbers here in this forum, help keep that soil fertile as does your diligence in climbing technique and research.
Just thoughts..

climb.jpg

Well today I was as high(climbing) as ive ever been.
then it happened, the wind picked up and the tree began to sway. Id be lying if i said no big deal because it was.
it took me about 5 min to adjust and trust the tree was not gonna topple over:)
TheOak in the pic is my training ground. Its got a hard back lean and is basically standing firewood.
ive been chipping away at this tree for the last several weeks.
Being like the "blade of grass" will definitely take dozens of successful climbs to achieve that comfort.
I found my self holding onto the tree more today rather than trusting my gear. That said, I have complete trust in my selection
of climbing gear, Its just when your feet are 50-60' above the ground it humbled me today.
I appreciate this post and will strive to become that Blade of Grass, Thank you.

I did manage to take several hundred pounds of weight out of her today, they exploded impact! What a day

Hmmm, did we already discuss considering that the base/roots might be compromised?
If that thing was swaying in the wind and the branches were exploding on impact, I'd be a bit worried myself about the overall integrity of what I was tied into.
But then, I'm not an oak expert...
You did well to overcome the 'tummy wobblies' and head games and continue working...you'll be golden in a proper live tree!

Im not an Arborist, but i did stay at a holiday inn express once.
that said, base of the tree seems sound. no exposed roots and no fungi growing.
When i said exploding, the main limb 4 to 6" in diameter did not break apart. Just the smaller 3/4" and less were obliterated.
i do have some fungi growth higher up in the stem and other main limbs. Id say less than 5% if that makes any sense.

Back