radiator cleaning

canadianclimber

TreeHouser
Hey,

Blowing out the rad on my chipper and read you can lightly spray water on the fins while the machine is running to help clean them out. Is this a common practice?

Having trouble getting it clean(an ongoing issue). And looking for ideas. Willing to try this, just want to make sure it won't cause any damage. No pressure just a light soaking while the fan blows.

Let me know your thoughts.

Thx.

I use compressed air, pressure washer, backpack blower, and the hose at the golf course 350 psi from a 1.5" hose, hey-yo hang on.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Great thanks. I do all those tricks as well. More concerned if it would be an issue while the machine is running and spraying water in it. I'll give it a go tomorrow. Gonna be a hot week and need the chipper running optimally.

Cheers

Jim is right, of course.

Try to blow out from the back side a bit, for the first go. Not much will get through on most radiators, but it's worth a try. Then, never spray much close to a straight in angle from the front...that'll just drive the crud in deep. Use a very oblique angle, in line with the fins; that will serve best.

I took mine off the chipper, high pressure hose from both sides, then an airline. Amazing what crud comes out.

Yes Jim, I noticed it had used a bit of water so dealt with it.

Chippers work in a lot of dust (like farm machinery) there are certain situations, like dead Western Red Cedar that block up my pre radiator screens in a very short time.

Yes, I can imagine cedar would be bad for that.

At times I have had to blow out radiators because we had nothing else going on......

I wonder if anyone makes a chipper with a rotary screen? I think it would be a good addition.

Do you have any cottonwoods by you Mick? I'll blow out the radiators several times a day when the cotton is falling.

Radiators .GM had the bright idea to use a type of anti freeze ( dex cool )for the aluminum block and radiator models which over time wasn't a good idea .Over time the insides of the radiator would clog up causing poor circulation and they ran hot .
Georgia has a 2002 GMC Envoy that looks like a new one but had a problem so at the time I was working 7-12's and didn't have time to delve into it .I sent it out.1200 dollars later the idiots still hadn't figured it out .I did a gravity test and bought a new radiator for 200 and fixed it .Once again at least in my case if you want it done right do it yourself --mumble grumble --

If you mean poplars, yes. Though I believe it’s only certain types that have that floaty seed thing.

Birch seeds seem to be just the right size as well.

https://www.radiatorgenie.com/radiator_genie_s/46.htm

I made an attatchment for my blow gun to do this. Decided to try the store bought one. It works well. A little flimsy but so far so good. Have not even tried the water model yet, but I should. Something a person could make easily enough.

My experience exactly Al. Many times over. Latest was local machine shop/welding shop owner is friend of mine. I mowed hay for him with my equipment when he was broken down. Payment never happened like it should have so he has been machining a few things and is smart enough to not charge me.

So I break a part that needs welding and it is alloy steel that needs 7018 or similar. I think why don't I take it over and have him do some more restitution work.
Pretty easy to match it up and see the angle it needs to be welded at. Kid that did it got the angle right, just 180* off. Are you kidding me? I cut off what was welded on the end and reversed that instead of cutting it at the break and rewelding it there. How many ways can they screw stuff up? Lots and lots.

Snowing in June

cottonwood.jpg
(Cottonwood = North American Poplar) After the cottonwoods drop their seed in late spring/early summer and you start running your AC system, you'll find a lot of felted cotton mash jammed into the fins of the condenser. I have done the heavy duty shop vac pre-clean, then blown out with compressed air, then foaming coil cleaner, rinsed with a garden hose. Did wonders for efficiency!

Back