Trailer axle ratings?

Raj

TreeHouser
My 25hp befco chipper weighs 1300lbs. It has 20.5 8-10 tires rated for 1100 lbs each and a torsion bar axle that is 2.25" square tubing. I'd like to add on to the trailer, say another 600lbs.

The google gods don't give me any rating for my axle's capacity, any ideas?

I think you should be fine. Smallest axle I have seen was 3000lbs. I cans imagine they would use anything smaller.

Searching 2.25" torsion axles I'm finding most are referring to the hub seal size as 2.25". Those are all 3500 lb axles. With 5 lugs it will be 3500 or less.

Getting close with that extra 600 pounds. Are both tires equally loaded, now, and will they be after the mod? Keep the tires protected. Sun will probably eat them before mileage.

How about the center of gravity, in light of the narrow width?

How much of the 600 will add to tongue weight, rather than tire/ axle load?

What do you want to add?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Thanks all!

I'd like to add a one yard dump box. For the reasons you mentioned, not sure at the front or back.

The box would probably be taller and narrow.

Contemplating a 2' deep by 4' wide by 4' high dumping aluminum box off the back. For scale the back plate is 29" by 29".

20180809_160631.jpg 20180809_160631.jpg

Can you legally actually tow two items...train style?

I know tractor trailers do it but they are CDL, etc.

Mellow. I'm not sure yet. The way I build things it will be removable.

Gary, up here there is no double towing for my license, I was thinking adding onto the chipper, not towing anything.....

On the road.

I was keeping the ball incase of working on a large property.

Make that brush/ chip cart instead. You want to be able to move the chips, plus you can load it up with brush and wood, and winch/ drag it with the truck, since it will have four wheels.

Hmmmm. Food for thought!

I would be inclined to build the box and make it mount anywhere I'd need it.

Back