Foot ascender

LeafCollector

Treehouser
So I broke in the new climb right aluminimum spurs today, they were đź‘Ť
I need a foot ascender that will attach to my spur.
Could anyone give me a model, manufacturer etc?
Thanks

Yep.

It is, however, something that we old guys frown upon, but the youngsters love.
So don't take our warning for gospel, but don't come back whining when you've gaffed the frig out of yourself, either.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
OMG, just had a visual of "Gaffing the frig" out of myself...
Let's just pretend I never asked, and just keep this between us. Ur right, bad ��
Thanks

Spurring your own calf hurts and its embarrassing.

Before you buy big money spur gaffs....a normal foot ascender can fit under the spur too...if you just wanna try it out.

It does hurt, this was deep, I didn?t dare look at it in the tree.

Never used a foot ascender mind, so can?t offer advice.

Attachments

• 273B558F-E4AC-40A7-94F8-DFAE2B6B4939.jpg
    273B558F-E4AC-40A7-94F8-DFAE2B6B4939.jpg
    112.4 KB · Views: 40
Kevlar will do nothing against a puncture by a spike. That just pushes the fibers sideway and goes through without slowing down.
Leather perhaps, if you don't push too hard.
Try steel maybe (much thicker than a tin can).:D
Or just learn to use the gaffs and know where they are all the time. Two goals : don't hurt yourself and preserve your ropes.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
So my set up today was the hitch climber pulley
I spurred up and kept my climbing line outside my flipline to "preserve" my rope.
Do you guys climb that way or,do you keep your line down the middle when using spurs??

Never down the middle.

I like to clip it back to a biner on a gear loop at my hip, just running free through that.

But you still have to watch constantly. The rope swings all around as you move, even placed off to the side.

You also have to watch the tail of your lanyard.

Shoot, my friend...you have to watch everything like a hawk with spurs :).

I always run my climbing line inside my lanyard, rope over the top of my foot if not carrying a ropebag. If carrying a ropebag, I redirect through a hip carabiner, creating a little place to store a little slack, versus constantly stuffing. Rope back at my 7-8:00 position, 12 being in front of me.

When I first started I was slow as Christmas with my climb line running inside my lanyard. I?ve tried it everywhere. Clipped to my hip ds you name it. Still you have to really watch it.

I?ve wondered if clipping a carabiner to the outside of your foot strap then putting the climb line outside of the lanyard and through the carabiner would keep it out of the way.

If I am on spurs, I prefer just taking it all up with me bag on saddle. Keeps it out of harms way both in the tree and on the ground.
I run it inside my flip line unless limb walk in, where it will slide out to the d. Still on bridge ring, just slides over.
Occasionally, I'll run the tail off to the side captured in a revolver crab.

When I first started I was slow as Christmas with my climb line running inside my lanyard. I?ve tried it everywhere. Clipped to my hip ds you name it. Still you have to really watch it.

I?ve wondered if clipping a carabiner to the outside of your foot strap then putting the climb line outside of the lanyard and through the carabiner would keep it out of the way.

I reckon you could do that. But any spur climber worth a turd would likely see that as excessive. You'll have to throw your foot over all sorts of obstructions during a real spur climb. That binered in rope will screw you up, sure as shit.

I'm a spur climber worth more than a few turds, not too shy to claim it :)...just learn to watch every placement of your spurs. There are lots of other things besides where your climb line or the long tail of your lanyard are in relation to your gaffs to watch out for. If you don't know what those are yet, you need a lot more time on spurs before you think about much else.

If you want some pointers on those, many here will accommodate your questions. Me included, brother.

I reckon you could do that. But any spur climber worth a turd would likely see that as excessive. You'll have to throw your foot over all sorts of obstructions during a real spur climb. That binered in rope will screw you up, sure as shit..

I hadn?t thought about that I don?t guess.
But yep I see that being aggravating

I have a large cheap biner at the four oclock point on my saddle. I usually have my saw hung there. When I spur climb I will often hook my lifeline back through that and it is out-of-the-way the way... kind of free hanging back behind me. It feeds through there and drops under me as I climb if that makes sense.

I mostly lightly drag my spurs up the trunk, and step down, avoiding stomping my spurs in, unless necessary. My climb line stays across the top of my foot where I can feel it.

Back