tending the friction hitch

LeafCollector

Treehouser
so i swore id never do this but im about to do this.
i have bought 2 micro(ha)pulleys to tend my hitch.
i now have 2 extra pulleys.
im climbing on the swabisch and my pulleys eat the swabisch rather than tend it.
can someone recommend a small micro pulley to use?
thank you

When I was experimenting....with different things( and I have a lot of gear I don?t use) I always went back to the dmm hitchclimber pulley or the pinto to tend a hitch. Isc just came out with a new one that looks pretty slick too. I like for the inside of the side plates and sheave to be as close to diameter of my rope as possible so the hitch will sit on top and not get sucked down into the pulley.

I?ll second the hitch climber pulley. I have 3, maybe 4 of them ( I?d have to really look). They are fairly tight for the rope, with nice friendly edges, and keep the system uncluttered
The pinto is nice as well but seems to swallow the hitch while tending with out tension. That?s on my lanyard, which is the CE one from TS. Smaller diameter.

On my small rope lanyard I use a #2 brass snap to Hitch tend. With the right hitch it can work well, for about $2

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
63CE98D6-FF17-450C-AD7D-49CFDC3B7299.jpg
Pictures help, as do rope, hitch cord, etc.

So after looking at this photo I want a shorter prusik. That will make my hitchclimber pulley more efficient at tending the slack.
Figure 3" x 40 pulls going up the tree is like 10'
Do you agree it's better for the hitch to be closer to the pulley??

How long is that eye to eye 32"? I used to use a 32". I swap between 28" and 30" depending on which hitch I use. The VT likes a longer cord. Distel and Schwabisch like a shorter cord. Good thing about VT is you can wrap and braid until the cord is used up and usually come up with a good combination. I also buy cordage by the foot and tie my own. That makes it infinitely adjustable. You either need more wraps or a shorter cord.

View attachment 88192

So after looking at this photo I want a shorter prusik. That will make my hitchclimber pulley more efficient at tending the slack.
Figure 3" x 40 pulls going up the tree is like 10'
Do you agree it's better for the hitch to be closer to the pulley??

Absolutely. Get every bit of slack out of there that you can. At least 4 inches closer, right down to the plastic wraps at the eyes. Set things so that you have to load it all up under full body weight to get it to lay smooth.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I just want to say thanks to all you guys sharing your experience with me.
Tomorrow is a climb day so Im excited to fine tune my setup. I put in 13hrs today on a chiller so I could climb tomorrow:)
I'm going to try the VT and see how I like it.

The problem with a pre manufactured fixed eye friction cord is that you have to tie more wraps or braids to get it to sit snug and close to the device/pulley...sometimes that might mean there is now too much friction for it to tend properly.
A piece of cord where you tie your own eyes/stoppers allows you to find the sweet spot.

Back