020T Gas Tank

treetx

Traveler extraordinaire
I have a saw the is sentimental to me from '99. It still screams.

I was trimming a pecan last month, in pulling it up, dropped it. It already has tons of holes/repairs from pulling it up. This seems to have split along the seam.

I'm guessing it isn't easily replaceable. Am I right?

If its the older magnesium version its two parts bolted together with a seal. Split it and reseal.
I think gasket is still available, but I use "form a gasket" from permatex.

I'm guessing the 200T tanks are substantially different? If a 200T tank will work, I have a couple parts saws.

Plastic tank should be on it. Pre flippy caps. Should be able to get them from the dealer still. Also the only differences from the 200t tanks I can think of might be the vents. Could be more differences though. Aren’t they like the back bone of the whole saw. Basically the frame. It’s been a while since I’ve torn one down

We have an 020, backup for our 200T and 201T. Haven't ever been able to get it to scream, so it sits on the workbench till we can get a roundtoit. I can look at it tomorrow, if you need some pics or any further info on the tank.

The older magnesium 020 had same tank regardless of handle.
There are a few variations but all mix.
JB weld and such is harder to get right than changing seal. If its is broken its better to fix each part and put together.
Hard to get it to last unless you glue 65% or more of the crack.

The newer 020 with plastic tank is another saw completely. They kept 020 name when new model came for some reason but changed it to 200 later.

It gets confusing .The 020 AV top handle is the older magnesium alloy saw .The 020T and 200T are the later models with the high impact plastic models .FWIW Tom has an 020T with a 200T tank .I didn't install it but it seems to work OK .

The model description when 020 got "updated" was just 020, no T no AV... I have the sales brochure some were.
Yes, really confusing.
Guy's come in and say they want another 020 and this plastic thing sit on the counter... Many walked away. Those who didn't was mostly positively surprised.
Unless they had the accessories for 020AV and wanted a new power unit. Then they were in for an other kind of surprise!

Back