Hitch Hiker X

I had a tending tether for SRT that I would pass my rope through before terminating for DdRT.
Kept everything neat and in line

I did the same thing with the ridgid tether wesspur used to sell. Had pics on here somewhere. Don?t know why wesspur stopped making the horseshoe tether but it?s by far my favorite and helped keep the carabiner from rotating too.

I know it’s only a matter of inches but I’d prefer a tether up high vs clipping my chest harness into my bridge ring. I keep a short bridge and it helps keep me upright sometimes as well.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Have you tried it exactly the way my picture shows? The carabiner does not turn on ascent, the pulley works almost as well as a chest roller, and there is no setback.

No I don’t have an issue with slack tending so never saw the need to throw a pulley on there. I guess I still could try it tho

Any time Dave has a suggestion for deploying these hybrid SRT systems, I have learned to pay very close attention. He knows more about them than any three other climbers put together.

Joe, though the pulley does improve slack tending, where it really shines is on the ascent. If set up like pictured with a shoulder harness and used with foot and knee ascender, it is the easiest, nonpower, non-chest roller, ascent system I have ever used.

Cut it out, you guys. My hard hat might not fit tomorrow.

Not going to happen while I'm here, Dave :).

It's no exaggeration, you are the best in this niche...though I would be remiss in allowing any readers to think this is your only area of expertise.

Respect, my friend.

So here are my impressions of the HHx from Climbing Innovations. Richard did a good job. A lot of thought and effort went into bringing this to market and it shows in the details. The problem some people have with the carabiner getting crossed up in the lower slot has been completely eliminated with the use of the D shackle. I found the slick pin simple to use and it gives no indication of being anything less than a solid and secure connection.
I would encourage anyone interested in the HHx to visit www.climbinginovations.com and watch the video Richard made on how to safely use it. In fact, he requires that you do this before he will sell you one. (one of those details I mentioned)

Pros: Lightweight, no carabiner, friction and slack tending are consistent, people that are used to tending a Hitchclimber pulley should like this.
Cons: Shackle is not as fast or as easy as a carabiner, 7075 aluminum dog bone, and 6061 body will not last as long (I suspect) as Paul's steel model, shackle does not work with a pulley in the manner I like to use.

That last item is why I am going to sell mine. I paid $188 for it and will sell for $150. PM if interested.

(sold)

Yes, it is, Chris. I have been using Yale 11.7 line lately and it works well and is lighter. I know that I have posted that picture many times but it is simply the best setup I have ever used, and I have used them all.

I did not try it on a climb so can't speak to its functionality in use, but it does fit. The bottom slot on the HH2 is much bigger than the slick pin diameter, and the screw heads that protrude from the sides of the HH2 get bumped a bit. Still, at $35 for a slick pin shackle that also has other uses, it might be worth a try by those interested.

Yes, it is, Chris. I have been using Yale 11.7 line lately and it works well and is lighter. I know that I have posted that picture many times but it is simply the best setup I have ever used, and I have used them all.

Which 11.7 Yale line would that be Dave, if you don't mind me asking?

Aztec, just cuz I like the color.

Back