Hitch Hiker X

It is definitely with Paul's blessing. Richard is running a legit operation. I ordered mine a couple of days ago, can't wait. It is all aluminum, and it finally fixes the biner cross-loading issues of the original design. Love the Hitch Hiker!

I think I'll have to get in on this. The HH seems to twist with an over-the-shoulder tending device. A centered neck tether might not do this.

They seem to be very reliable, from lack of talk otherwise, and people trying to get them to fail.

There was some challenging way to get it to disengage. Its double-action, one more to open than a locking snap, one less to open than tri-act. Seems like there was a 4 stage quickie, somewhere.

Be interesting to see how dissipates heat on descent compared to the original one. Still waiting for the lower pulley version.8)

Crazy it bent the quickie. . .

I wonder about the aluminum and the steel interacting. One thing I like about the 1st and 2nd gen HH is the steel side plates. It looks nice.

This is not a quickie, although it is nearly identical. This shackle is longer. The quickie wasn't quite long enough to work with the HH2. Quickies are awesome and bomb proof, lots of climbers use them for canopy anchors, in the same way that you would use a delta screw link. I can't wait for my HHX, Richard has been showing it in videos for a long time now but I didn't know he was planning to release it commercially. I'm stoked!

You can get a really good look at the HHX on Richard's post today on Instagram, it's 8 pictures in one:

https://www.instagram.com/mumford.richard.d/

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I have no complaints about the HH and HH2. They are incredible tools in both strength and functionality. I have tried several different D shackles and found they were not an improvement for me. The carabiner gives me no trouble, no side loading or noticeable changes in friction, and is bomber.

The HH X is different in many ways and even small changes can make a big difference. I am curious as to how it will work compared to the originals.

I regularly use a Quickie for canopy anchors. Probably every time I climb. It takes 2 separate actions to get the pin out of one side of the shackle. Even then the rope can't bypass the end of the pin and escape. One more distinct movement then the rope can bypass the end of the pin. To me that seems like triple action. I trust it 100%. Sometimes when pulling it up on an Alpine Butterfly the end of the pin will face the tree. I know you're not supposed to install it that way but it just flips around and it sometimes happens. I still feel confident in it. I keep an eye on it and climb on up, tie in and flip it around. I'm curious to see how this HH X pans out. I might like to try one. Over 8,000 break strength. That's pretty impressive. I sometimes climb on a Rope Runner. Doesn't look like it would have that high of break strength. But it might.

Edit.
I just tried to get my rope to come out of the Quickie with the pin only in one side of the shackle and with a little squeezing and rolling was able to get it to come out. Although it wasn't easy.

Attachments

• 20180723_164922.jpg
    20180723_164922.jpg
    136 KB · Views: 49
I wonder if that lower shackle would play well with the HH2? I do sometimes have issues with cross loading, I think the shackle setup would help with tending too.

Is Richard on this forum? Send like a nice creative fella who would get on well here

Chris, Chris, Chris, you used the T word. You march yourself to the bathroom and take the soap and wash your mouth...wait, I guess go in there and give your hands a good washing, Mister!

The treebuz was the least warmest welcome I've had of any Internet forum I've joined ever. It was odd. I had joined up around the same time as here so it wasn't like my reputation preceded me or anything. It was just like no one replied to me or welcomed me. The vibe was definetly off for me so I faded away.

Chris, Chris, Chris, you used the T word. You march yourself to the bathroom and take the soap and wash your mouth...wait, I guess go in there and give your hands a good washing, Mister!

I know! What was I thinking? I should have just said TB.

In all honesty, TB when it first came out, was a great place to share info and learn from others. I was one of the first 300-400 member. It has changed over the years. I still have nothing but good things to say about Mark Chisholm. He has always helped me out and been great to work with.

Sorry for the derail.

BTW, my HH2 is always my go to piece of gear as well. Paul has done us all a great service in developing this piece of gear and I truly appreciate it.

What are you guys using for rope and cordage on yours?

Back