What boots and gloves do you wear when chainsawing on the ground?

He's saying no one plans to have an accident. Wear boots with a toe cap that chainsaws can't slice through easily.

I would just have to stay home if I was to layer up every piece is PPE.

I'm way, way more concerned about a chainsaw in the upper body, 120' up, or falling 120' to a very fast stop.

When I worked at State Parks, we had defense from a saw under our control, but no ppe to prevent getting crushed by huge, dead, rotten trees. 660s with 36" bars were typical, generally any day in the field could or would use one, or bigger.

I worked with a guy that did a Peace Corps stint in Nepal or Tibet. He said "after living in a third world country, your perception of danger changes considerably".

There is no ppe for when the work out bus driver with a super overloaded, on a work out bus on mountain highways had to pass the same, with barely any room before the big drop.

At State Parks, cutting myself with a chainsaw that's really under my control was always my LAST concern on the list of dangers.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/6XJSekItbUQ" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>
I watched this 462 review last night and had to note the pro faller (gear + working conditions) and had to note that it was a world away from my urban arborist reality. More than just being across the globe in Sweden, but more so the turf, terrain, working conditions -- and even the general working style. If I were falling a tree in those conditions + limbing and bucking surrounded by a mess on slippery ground, I would want the chainsaw pants + logging boots combo to mitigate risks. I'm sure it looks altogether familiar to Stig! My reality is more assuming a safe stance, cutting off one or two limbs with me standing on the ground (not on the log). Then moving the material to stacks with the butts oriented toward the chipper for the brush draggers or the winch to pull it away. Repeat till all brush is cleared away, then buck up the log, winch away the logs or leave for the log grapple to pick up.

Ss, the reality that you actually have is that you are either an employee or an employer (i don't know) for a tree outfit that is growing by leaps and bounds. If you are the employer, that's cool, you should lead by example. I'm sure you know this, but if there is an severe injury on your jobsite, you will be investigated and fined if your company isn't wearing the correct minimum standard of ppe, usually more than what the new bucket truck cost. So you can do two different approaches here, you can try to get by doing the absolute minimum or less, or you can dress the part and understand that no one ever plans on getting hurt so coming up with a plan of how to continuously improve safety and efficiency will be money well spent.

If you are simply an employee, then you once again have a choice. Your employer probably requires that you wear the appropriate ppe, so there you go. You can choose to ignore this, but understand that your job may be the cost. I have chosen to ignore certain safety rules in my employment, but i made that decision accepting certain things, like when i chose to run a grinder without a guard and i broke my finger on the job. I simply popped it back in place, and continued work with said broken finger. Because of me constantly working on my knees, i have also chosen to not wear steel toe boots because doing so will cause foot injury later in life. I work accordingly (and as a pipeline welder, all i do is weld, not work with the grunting heavy stuff as much), but fully accept the risks myself. The likely injury that steel toe boots in my trade will protect against is simply a broken toe, unlike a mishap with a saw where amputated toes carry a high likelihood of not being able to walk let alone work. Considering that, maybe wearing steel toes is probably a good idea.

Co-owner. Other ground men have steel toed boots, climbers wear Arbortec climbing boots, but don't change out once they're on the ground.
:?
I'm puzzled that both Kyle and Justin are getting on to me for making the same elective, conscious choice they chose to make in their respective situations.
I for one have 1). a catastrophic foot/ankle injury I have to cope with, and resulting plantar fasciitis and 2). very wide feet (particularly in the toe box), making stiff steel toes very uncomfortable for extended periods. Plus, I'm not doing a huge amount of chainsaw ground work all told. Maybe this summer I could afford a $500 pair of custom boots, but not currently over winter.

I'm not getting on you, i was just saying that steel toes make sense running a saw, and are just as comfortable as composite in warm weather, and fine in winter with the right socks. Hell i don't care if you wear slippers, like a welder i worked with last year did :lol:

I'm on ya alright. Like a infection!

I could care less if someone chooses to not wear the proper ppe. But don't kid yourself that you're not at risk or that you just don't need. Just admit you're just choosing not to use it and are accepting the risks, not belittling the risks. And I'm cool with that. :)

I accept the risks.

I'm not covered by W/C.

I think that "I wasn't trying to get hurt.?!" and "I WAS TRYING NOT to get hurt!!" are worlds apart. I see people take stupid risks and choices all the time, but not at my jobsites.

Unfortunately, my employee wasn't trying to get hurt walking on super slick icy wearing Vans (off the clock, away from work). I saw his stapled head today when I put some gas in his truck.

Back