What boots and gloves do you wear when chainsawing on the ground?

Robert P

TreeHouser
The title pretty much says it.

Currently I use a pair of Kevlar supposedly cut-resistant and anti-vibration padded gloves - though have never had a situation where there was a close call with the blade being in danger of contacting my hands. Seems like it would have to be an unusual circumstance, though I'm sure unusual circumstances happen. I have Thorogood jump boots. Those Thorogoods are very comfortable - they feel about like wearing running shoes (unlike the boots we had in the Army) and they were available in my size - 15. From what I've found online boots labeled as being chainsaw boots all seem to stop at 14, some don't even go that large.

I have wide feet, so I have a pair of New Balance work boots that are doing okay for me. Before that, I had a pretty resilient pair of Keene steel toe work boots that would fit normal feet very well, just not quite wide enough for me to be comfortable all day.

For gloves, we've found the Hardy goatskin leather gloves from Harbor Freight to be the cheapest & most resilient. Pretty good fitting, too.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
So you don't wear anti-cut chainsaw boots per se?

No, normal steel toe work boots -- but they're a bit stiff -- thinking of composite toe for the next pair. I highly doubt anyone makes anything in my width (6E) for specific chainsaw boots. Not planning on sleeping in the bed of Procrustes.

Our climber has these climbing boots from TreeStuff -- support the sponsor, you know!

Composite toe doesn't even slow down a saw fyi.... if you are hitting your toe with a saw you are doing it wrong obviously, just saying. Having said that I'm thinking I'm done wearing steel toe boots at my day job (not tree work), much more comfortable kneeling without them, and I'm willing to accept the risk.
https://youtu.be/Pequmgt21Lw

Exactly my thinking re: chainsaw protective gloves & boots -- if you're hitting the back of your hand doing ground work, something is seriously wrong with your technique -- two hands on the saw, full thumb wrap on the wrap around handle. If you're hitting your shoes, your stance is likely off and you haven't developed good practices. I'd like to see stats, but I'd hazard to bet that most chainsaw injuries are to the thigh region -- when the saw comes down too fast/too far. That's why chaps are the big thing, main point of protection.

I bet boot/toe cuts are way up there too. Just from growing up in a logging community and having logged for many years I can tell you from my personal experience cuts to the toes are common.

These stats are pretty old (36,000 injuries annually in the US), but do show the breakdown by part of the body:
chain_body.gif
Leg injuries are 8:1 compared to foot injuries. I was surprised to see that hand and arm injuries are comparable to (and exceed) leg injuries. I would suspect that being due to people one-handing things and hitting their free hand that is holding wood, maybe some kickbacks.

Back in my pulp cutting days we used to have lots of people cut their toes when reaching over a log to limb the back side.

They are rare in hardwood logging.

If Tom can jump a couch, surely people can jump a log to limb the backside.
<iframe src="https://giphy.com/embed/9rnSh46IvgcdW" width="480" height="361" frameBorder="0" class="giphy-embed" allowFullScreen></iframe><p><a href="https://giphy.com/gifs/tom-business-career-9rnSh46IvgcdW">via GIPHY</a></p>

These stats are pretty old (36,000 injuries annually in the US), but do show the breakdown by part of the body:
View attachment 88092
Leg injuries are 8:1 compared to foot injuries. I was surprised to see that hand and arm injuries are comparable to (and exceed) leg injuries. I would suspect that being due to people one-handing things and hitting their free hand that is holding wood, maybe some kickbacks.

You know what they say about statistics.

I'd bet that would look a lot different amongst professional users in BC Vs what I think that shows is er visits in all of the USA where as we know many don't/won't wear ppe.

I guess I've seen many cuts to the foot because I've found that to be the place many skimp in ppe because the safety toe is uncomfortable for hoofing around the bush compared to a non-safety toe. I'd be curious how many 'treeplanter' boots viberg has sold compared with safety toe boots. Everyone is big on ppe up here. Cutting pants/chaps, screens, safety glasses etc. Never once have I ever had my boots checked beyond visually seeing that they're 'logging' boots which all vibergs look like. I mention viberg because I can only comment really on my own experience in my area and viberg rules the roost here ime. Maybe times are changing. I've been out of the game awhile now.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Our climber has these climbing boots from TreeStuff -- support the sponsor, you know!
The problem with buying footwear online is it only works if it's something you already know fits - otherwise it's a crapshoot. I tried on maybe 6 pair at a local retailer and walked out with boots and used them that day.

Being so wide footed, I can't buy retail. I have to special order my size, and usually stick with a shoe model I know fits, generally New Balance since not much else is hitting 6E widths. So I make sure the online seller offers returns/exchanges.

Just got a pair of these New Balance Industrial boots:
Men's New Balance 989v1 Composite Toe Work Boot
Inspired by a mid-cut hiker boot, the New Balance 989v1 Composite Toe Work Boot features tough technology catering to the industrial worker who wants over-the-ankle protection. A durable full grain leather front half offers rugged durability, while a synthetic and mesh back adds breathability to keep your feet comfortable when the day gets tough. Additional features include a slip resistant rubber outsole, composite safety toe cap, and electrical hazard protection. Leather upper Meets OSHA EH (Electrical Hazard) footwear guidelines. Electrical shock-resistant footwear is manufactured with non-conductive, electrical shock-resistant soles and heels NB ultra soft comfort insert Slip-Resistant rubber outsole Composite Toe Cap Kick Plate 10mm drop Style: MID989.
Liking them a lot after just one afternoon of stump grinding. They feel very rugged, durable, waterproof, very good traction, and even at 4E width, feel decent on my wide toes!
newba817357_64139_jb1.jpg newba817357_64139_jb3.jpg

Have to be steel toe here, no composite..I like Mongrels or Steel Blue, have a reasonable sole pattern for climbing as well.
I wish those people that make the climbing boots would put a steel toe in them, I would have to change boots after climbing to start cutting in the ground, that's why I haven't bought them yet

Watch a video about chainsaws and composite toes, the saw won't even notice a composite toe.

I don't expect a composite toe to stop a saw -- that's why I don't keep my feet in harm's way; saw's going to hit dirt or pavement between my feet if it drops. The hard toes are for stick kicking, notch kicking, log rolling, crush resistance when something falls off the chipper, etc.

Toes are easy to hit with a chainsaw. I don't think anyone plans on doing it.

That being said. I never wore safety toes of any sort for many years, because of comfort on steep ground.

I called Wesco to order a new pair of caulk boots.
They told me that they had stopped offering steel toe, since none of their American customers want them.

So that was the end of me buying Wesco boots.

Hoffman puts caulk boots on Haix and Meindl bootrs, so you basically have a boot that is in compliance with European regulations ( Both being European boots) and the added safety of caulæks.

We just ordered 6 pairs to try them out.

Back