New to me, not new :)

Burnham

Woods walker
Just recently bought a neighbor's old DR All-Terrain Mower. After 20 years or so, he decided he was ready for a new one. I got it for very little money..."good neighbor discount". Of course, it looked like crap, needed a new battery and blade belt, had a tire that wouldn't hold air, filters, sharpening, drive chain and clutch cable adjustments that had been long neglected, and some shade tree body work and paint.

Here's the finished product. It runs like a top. I've been able to really clean up a piece of old pasture on the north side of our creek that I have never been able to get machinery to.

I have about $250 in it now. I am golden :).

Attachments

• jag dent 006.jpg
    jag dent 006.jpg
    314 KB · Views: 50
  • jag dent 007.jpg
    jag dent 007.jpg
    309.4 KB · Views: 51
  • jag dent 008.jpg
    jag dent 008.jpg
    317.8 KB · Views: 48
  • jag dent 009.jpg
    jag dent 009.jpg
    285.3 KB · Views: 50
  • jag dent 010.jpg
    jag dent 010.jpg
    345.7 KB · Views: 49
That looks good...golden is the right word. For 20 years old that looks awesome.

I have not seen one with a blade setup like that...looks like a tractor bush hog.

Nice.
I could use one of those for clearing the pastures of the stuff the horses won't eat.

Those things are great! We've been running one clearing trails up here for years and years. The guys had it out yesterday in fact. Amazing what they'll take care of for you.

Just as a caution, don't 'fight' the machine, just kind of help steer it. They'll tear up your back if you're trying to wrestle with it.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Good advice. On rougher ground, using the locked differential helps a ton. Can't steer it for nothing that way, though :).

I think a new 14.5 hp model runs right around $3400..this one has 12.5 hp, new it was about $2k, near 20 years ago.

DR is a Vermont company, made in the USA. Billygoat is a different company with a similar product...you know, a knockoff :).

I thought you said you had some "after" pictures????

:lol::P

B, that locking diff is great for holding straight lines, side slope cutting and climbing a hill. I used to lock it, then unlock to turn. Then lock. Flat ground, you don't need it much.
They make it look easy on tv, but it's a work out

Back