Unusual Trees

It's in Portland's old north / northweast neighborhood. If I recall ... somewhere near NE Ainsworth Street x NE 20th within a 15 block radius.

When I stopped to look. I was guessing if this kind of tree ever had to be removed, it would be worth air-spading to cut roots and hoist as much as possible.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Amazing what you can get away with with some orange cones, a chipper truck, and a Tree Work Ahead sign. I don't think anyone would bat too big of an eye if you rolled up, rolled out, and took it down.

This old Sitka Spruce near Tillamook Oregon is a nice tree. About 11 feet diameter.

Attachments

• Octopus_Sitka_Spruce_800.jpg
    Octopus_Sitka_Spruce_800.jpg
    136.9 KB · Views: 55
Double Tree of Casorzo

A parasitic cherry tree growing out of a mulberry in Casorzo, Italy:
Bialbero_di_Casorzo.jpg
The Bialbero di Casorzo (Italian: "double tree of Casorzo"), which is also known as Grana Double Tree, is a unique tree situated between Grana and Casorzo in Piedmont, Italy. It is a mulberry tree on which a cherry tree grows. The cherry tree rises well above the mulberry tree on which it stands.
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/67tmSuRCepo" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

It's good to see that there is a use for mullberry besides growing in fences :lol: and you get fruit medley there too!

Amazing what you can get away with with some orange cones, a chipper truck, and a Tree Work Ahead sign. I don't think anyone would bat too big of an eye if you rolled up, rolled out, and took it down.

Years ago we had a rail line that went through town. It was no longer being used. I saw a guy I knew with a hard hat and a safety vest cutting it up and loading it up. I wondered how he had got that gig. Just look official was all he was doing. Never got caught.

I got a length of railway track. It was left lying around for about a year when they replaced the tracks. The temptation became to great and I had to have it.

I figure it'd come in handy for metal work eventually. It's been sitting beside my school bus seat, well because everyone needs one of those too.

A parasitic cherry tree growing out of a mulberry in Casorzo, Italy:

Rather large epiphyte growth. Must be plenty of decay down the center of the Mulberry. If it lasts long enough, the Cherry should split it open someday.

It makes a pretty decent anvil, forging stuff, and is illegal to scrap.... just so you know :/: basically is just really high manganese steel for wear. Won't weld very well if at all iirc.

It's pretty much illegal to even own, because you can't prove where you got it. Hence why you can't scrap it, they already thought about people tearing up tracks for cash :lol:

I can send you three feet... or hands, if you prefer.

Seriously, the Union Pacific tracks border the back side of our wood lot/shop property and I've seen the rigs come through for repairs on the tracks. They re-welded in a section behind us. That's how we ended up with a chunk of track -- they just tossed it to the side. Swear it was on our property -- must've just rolled down the gravel embankment into our woods.

I just use it for beating stuff on, as an anvil. About a 5' piece. They came and got all the other pieces/lengths but left this one piece to tempt me with. I did check it over for tracking devices. :/:

Technically, it's still on the ROW, and is still their property. They come by later (wayyyyyyyyyyy later) and magnet up scrap stuff, and then it's sorted and reused or recycled into new rail. From what i understand each company still has proprietary compositions for rail.

Back