Unusual Trees

I don't know if that's the same here but it might be, I know they can get you for taking railway sleepers even if they've been left for years.

I've got a bit I use as an anvil, my grandfather used to have it.

See this brick fence, I watched him build this house. 2ft deep concrete trench with railway track posts, then he bricked around them. No one has hit it yet in over 30 years but one day maybe, and they won't hit that house.

eb59ad00-5de4-44fb-9a4a-1e0bb1dd591c.png

I wonder how there are sweepy cedars that sweep way out, and sweep back until the top is over the butt, then continues vertically. IMG_20190128_151442820.jpg

Technically, it's still on the ROW, and is still their property. They come by later (wayyyyyyyyyyy later) and magnet up scrap stuff, and then it's sorted and reused or recycled into new rail. From what i understand each company still has proprietary compositions for rail.

I don't know all the ins and outs of it. But it's now firmly under the 'possession is 9 tenths of the law' category. :drink:

Half of my fencing and most of my barns are built with old railway ties, crossing, and bridge poles/beams. It's common here for that sort of stuff to be given away to locals. My neighbour built a retaining wall out of those giant concrete lego blocks that the railway gave him for free after a temporary thing they used them for here. Come and get them and they were all free.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Pole barn out of old utility poles in Middle TN. Technically, the poles were considered a type of toxic waste and needed special handling and disposal. But for some reason the utility post setting trucks kept coming to the farm, dropping off all the old, replaced poles in a nice neat pile. Nobody seemed to know anything about it... ;)

I wonder how there are sweepy cedars that sweep way out, and sweep back until the top is over the butt, then continues vertically.View attachment 92175

Depends on where they grow. Part of the cause can vanish. A rotted trunk can push a tree over, then itself vanish. Years later, a snow load that may have bent the top the other way is 80 years melted into the past without a trace of evidence.

The following is not highly unusual, but is unusual to survive in the under story of the coast redwoods. There are very few western redcedars in Redwood National compared to the Douglas fir and redwoods. And the few are generally in the open more.

Attachments

• West_Red_2000.jpg
    West_Red_2000.jpg
    418.5 KB · Views: 54
We passed this group of redwoods in the midst of Jedediah Smith redwood park up a fork of Clarks Creek. There was an unusual assortment and number of large redwood burls, most of them like 100 feet or more up the trunks. Just one more reason I don't equate fire with burls. Much of what we encounter is a hodge podge and random.

Attachments

• N_H_Burls_mdv.jpg
    N_H_Burls_mdv.jpg
    240.2 KB · Views: 34
Top left, other side, possibly all the way around...

There is a 4th burl in the distance almost as big as the other 3 burls. One of the largest is out of sight off to the right. Could only get so many in one photo.

Attachments

• Burl_LR.jpg
    Burl_LR.jpg
    248.7 KB · Views: 79
Legendary coast redwood.

Attachments

• Hung_Lo_2000mdv.jpg
    Hung_Lo_2000mdv.jpg
    379.7 KB · Views: 50
I hope there are a couple of vagina trees in the vicinity, so they can reproduce.

Funny how the first one is so famous, and I've never heard about the one in your last picture.

I took my wife ( The woman in my picture) to the tree, because I thought it would amuse her.
It did, but nothing compared to how her 3 sons reacted to the picture.

Now introduce them to each other and Redwoods will never go extinct.

A pity my trip to Northern California this year fell through.
Would have been fun to hook up with you again.

We'll do that next year.

Your "Girl in a red dress with giant Redwood" poster in my kitchen has got a companion.

The Beraneks sent me an absolutely wonderful book: https://www.treegirl.org/

The funny thing is, I've climbed one of the trees in the book, with Stephen ( Cursed voice).
I totally fell in love with the cover picture of her as a tiny speck in that gigantic Adansonia.
So I contacted her, and bougth a poster size copy of the picture.
Spent a fortune having it framed, like I did with yours, and now they both hang in my kitchen, causing both non treefolks and treefolks to take a step back and go:"Woooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooow!!!".

I told her about climbing the oak, she quite liked that.

That tree girl emailed (and or called) a few years ago to inquire if she could see if I could give her a head start to reach some of the larger coast redwoods or new discoveries. She got "cold feet" aboutDecember, and also said she had arborist CEUs to catch up on. She was also worried about rain in December. She was mostly looking for assistance to reach certain trees since she takes self-portraits.

Last summer, I got a few photos of another Crescent City woman with the Del Norte titan, closer to the natural flesh style. I don't think I've posted it in the forum yet. Do I have your email right > stigxxxxxgaard ?? Could email that version just for a screensaver, etc..

Back