Unusual Trees

Stumpshot

General Purpose
Post pics or descriptions of unusual trees or limb formations/growths you've encountered.

Here's an interesting Magnolia limb from a job last week:
P1330803.jpg P1330804.jpg

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
To put it in perspective, that gap between the trunk and the limb is big enough to put your whole arm through. Well, maybe not Butch's arm, but mine fit. I guess that would've been a more interesting picture -- hugging the tree through the gap, or else posed to look like you were dancing with the tree!

Here's a snap of the box elder stump I wrecked down a couple of weeks back. It wasn't much to see, but it did qualify as "unusual" and "interesting", as far as the twisting growth pattern.
P1330430.jpg

Oh, and I really had Fiona in mind with this thread. I think she gets the blue ribbon / gold star / first place honors when it comes to unusual and interesting trees. Hopefully she can post some more pics here.

Catalpa is one of the more unusual trees for us here -- but a bit pedestrian, to be sure. My children love them, calling them "The Green Bean Tree." Also, the realization is there that if we ever run out of toilet paper, we know which tree has some pretty big leaves to accommodate that need... P1350015.JPG P1350016.JPG

yes, yes...here I am!

Back in the land down under, will keep an eye open for some weird ones.

I think I posted this one before...massive, massive gall on some kind of Eucalypt, Evercreech Forest Reserve in Tasmania

Attachments

• Funky tree 1.JPG
    Funky tree 1.JPG
    482 KB · Views: 79
  • Funky tree 2.JPG
    Funky tree 2.JPG
    488.8 KB · Views: 77
Another picture of the Funky Tree

Attachments

• Funky tree 3.JPG
    Funky tree 3.JPG
    524.7 KB · Views: 71
Banyan Tree

Probably the most unusual tree I've ever encountered is the Banyan while I was doing property maintenance in Fort Myers, FL. I've climbed up into a couple at the city parks, but not the one on the Edison estate.

7000830372_2dc23028e9_k.jpg

Banyan - an unusual tree which originated in India. It is a fig that grows upon another tree through germination into cracks and crevices. The roots then spread down to the ground, eventually becoming part of the tree itself to the point that the roots harden and resemble the tree trunk itself. They were brought to Florida by Thomas Edison: the first one planted in 1925 now covers over 400 feet. This particular tree is found near the "Uncommon Friends" fountain near the Caloosahatchee River.

banyan.jpg

Fort Myers - Banyan Tree at Edison's Winter Home
This banyan tree was given to Thomas Edison by Harvey Firestone, the founder of the tire company and a longtime friend of Edison's. It was shipped from India in the early 1920s. It was 4 ft (1.2 m) high when it was planted on the grounds of Edison's laboratory (now the Edison Musuem) Fort Myers. It is now the largest banyan tree in the U.S.

The Kansas state champion Yellowwood tree (probably not long for this world) has a parasitic silver maple sapling growing up out of the center.
P1350877.jpg P1350878.jpg

So here is a series of pic's of a California pepper in Ocean Beah,Ca. that we removed. all utilities were above ground, very tough job, tight access, we did it in one day.
Jeff,
u10.jpg
Jeff

Attachments

• u9.jpg
    u9.jpg
    141.8 KB · Views: 64
  • u7.jpg
    u7.jpg
    124.3 KB · Views: 63
  • u8.jpg
    u8.jpg
    89 KB · Views: 63
  • u6.jpg
    u6.jpg
    114 KB · Views: 63
  • u5.jpg
    u5.jpg
    116.4 KB · Views: 63
  • u4.jpg
    u4.jpg
    109.2 KB · Views: 63
  • u3.jpg
    u3.jpg
    131.9 KB · Views: 64
  • u2.jpg
    u2.jpg
    118.1 KB · Views: 65
  • u1.jpg
    u1.jpg
    121.2 KB · Views: 64
So here is a series of pic's of a California pepper in Ocean Beach, Ca. that we removed. all utilities were above ground, very tough job, tight access, we did it in one day.
Hey Jeff, where at in Ocean Beach? I used to help a friend with a booth at the farmer's market there.

Bump.
This is an interesting Ponderosa I found working recently...
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/j3-MARcfLv0" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Neat!

The most interesting thing about it, though...........................it is alive!!!

Let's see .. maybe I can dig up something unusual ..

Attachments

• Ari_Wood_POTN.jpg
    Ari_Wood_POTN.jpg
    124.1 KB · Views: 77
Feel free to takeover this thread! You've got some great stuff to showcase!

This is a maple street tree up in Portland. I think that's a burl base. I recall this being about 8 feet wide at ground level. Took this photo quite a few years ago, so I don't know if the tree is still alive. Probably is though.

Attachments

• burl_maple.jpg
    burl_maple.jpg
    420.1 KB · Views: 46
Back