Carnanah Walbran Ancient Forest

RegC

TreeHouser
A jewel on Canadas West Coast. A must see if you're planning a visit. 30 mins to watch. Some cool drone shots.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/l_QmigmwYig" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Thanks, Reg! No mosquitos?

I have been fortunate enough to have traveled some wild untouched wilderness areas. I can honestly say the last thing I wanted to see was someone else.

d6eOfiJ.jpg

Just wow.

Cool how you were digging on the understory same way that guy in the plaque did.

Music selection for drone footage was awesome. The space music with the old growth is mesmerizing and magnifies the effect of the wilderness footage.

So cool where the trail crosses a 6'dia. fallen tree. And walking on a 9 footer!

Love your hiking staff. What was it before you liberated it from the hardware store? Or was it simply a replacement handle?

The lack of visitors in a good news/bad news double edged sword.

So primeval in there. I was looking for a cougar in the brush.

Your interest as a tree guy in the wilderness reminds me of the fact one of the founders of GreenPeace was an ex logger.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Thanks, Reg! No mosquitos?

I have been fortunate enough to have traveled some wild untouched wilderness areas. I can honestly say the last thing I wanted to see was someone else.
Lots Dave, if you stand still for too long.

Selfishly gratifying that I didnt see anyone else....but at the same time the park needs visitors and recognition. It has a turbulent past, and still very much under threat. The government approved 7 new cut blocks throughout the unprotected part of the valley more recently. Areas just like you see in the video. Not wishing to put too much focus on the negative here, but just to answer your point. Thanks

Watched it all. Beautiful! Thank you, Reg!

Hope to make it up there to see that forest, someday, sooner than later.

Stay at my place Jerry. We'll have a blast

The government approved 7 new cut blocks throughout the unprotected part of the valley more recently. Areas just like you see in the video.

Bring on the fires.

Is the picture supposed to match the comment. Because it looks to me like the road was punched in and it was logged long ago? The picture that is.

Yes it is supposed to match. I zoomed in on the pic and couldnt tell if it was second growth bordering that road or if it was old growth that looked small due to perspective.

To me the road looked kinda fresh.

I would definetly say the road looks older and that looks like scrubby second growth. The larger trees would not be on the shoreline unless they were left and why would they punch the road through all that scrubby growth when it looks like there would be obviously shorter routes? To me it looks like it was logged. The shoreline and the creek was left. That's why the larger trees are there. Not saying there isn't merit to what is being discussed in the posting. Just to me it doesn't look like the pic matches what is being said. I've done lots of logging just like that on the coast. Boat/barge access only.

Where is all the equipment or the landings or the log booms if that is new right of way?

Just pointing out a bit that in BC it's not quite as cut and dried as just 'save all the trees'. It turns the wheels of this province. Pretty easy to look around and see logs/wood to manufactured lumber to ass wipe in about everything and everywhere. Hard to listen to environmentalists talk the talk but not walk the walk. A lot of people fly around on privilege or public money or whatever else take some photos and pat themselves on the back for being environmentalists.

I don't think anyone has anything figured out anymore. 945,000hectares of land, that's over 2.3million acres of land has burned this year in BC since April 1(no not a joke). But let's protect this old growth so it can die naturally or unnaturally due to climate change. I bet that fellow who posted that is eagerly following the antibiotics they're injecting in the orcas to 'save' them as well.

I've stared at this picture to much. Lol. But you could be right Cory. There does look to be some fresher cutting possibly in a couple of spots and maybe some equipment tucked into one spot too. I certainly wouldn't argue that there isn't coastal logging happening. It's been going on for ever and as I've said in the past. It'll go on until every stick of marketable lumber is gone. Still seems odd that there's no booms or large amounts of equipment/landings visible.

But it does look like it's been possibly logged off. You can kind of see the outline of how the road and the scrubbier growth could correspond to a big cut block.

Maybe these...saved, zoomed, cropped...not sure what you can do on your end:

Attachments

• Great Bear Island maybe-cropped.jpg
    Great Bear Island maybe-cropped.jpg
    628.3 KB · Views: 16
  • Great Bear Island maybe-cropped2.jpg
    Great Bear Island maybe-cropped2.jpg
    272.3 KB · Views: 16
Such a cool, beefy thread though only 3 pages to date.

Justin I appreciate all your input. Hadn't heard about orcas and antibiotics. Speaking of which, did you ever see one while you were working in the coastal outback ?

Gary, props to you for that Google earth link. I never was facile with GE until just now, playing with your Great Bear Rainforest locale. Awesome stuff!

I had trouble finding much thoroughly raped ground.

I couldn't open that link for some reason? Unsupported link it says?

I did see killer whales a few times while working on the coast. Plenty of grey whales, sea lions, seals, and all make of sea life. It was vibrant for certain.

Back