Best tool to remove last layer from cleared ground?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
By the measurements you gave earlier it was around 4000 sq ft., about 8 foot high of scrub trees and vines.
The lot is around 9000 sq ft, this is basically a triangle with a curved base at one corner of it. 600 - 800 sq ft is in the ballpark.

Another trick i remembered today is cover the area with a huge tarp for a few weeks, it'll kill everything under it, making it much easier to clean. Let's say i had a scrap steel pile that gets lost to the weeds, I'll take a saw and knock everything down, then throw a tarp (used billboard ads are the best, super heavy tarp for cheap) over the area, come back in a couple weeks and it'll be bare soil almost... if you got the time, this can make your life easier too.

If you hit everything with a weed burner too, it'll speed it up

Agreed -- we have a variety of Harbor Freight tarps in various sizes & thickness (mil). Good selection and price -- about the same quality as elsewhere.

If you have a few stubborn stumps, and can dig beneath them enough, they won't resist a hydraulic bottle jack that you might have. Small stumps might pop easily with a farm jack. I pushed a big stump out that was caught up in chain-link fence, from a storm. Takes some time. Pushed one overturned stump against another overturned stump.

A buddy of mine used to be the Demo man for his SWAT team. He lived in the city of Atlanta but worked in a different city. He used to blow stumps in his backyard with small bits of C4. City of Atlanta cops were not real happy and made him stop.

:lol:

There is/ was only one species of bamboo that can grow here.
They flower and die every 100 years or something like that.
I doubt they use our decimal system.
Anyway, all the bamboo was cloned from one plant, so about 12 years ago, they all flowered and died.

They are REALLY hard to remove, so we had a good time getting paid to take the root systems out with the stump grinder.
But....... this guy came up with the great idea of blasting the roots out.
Took out a lot of high priced ads and set up a company.

The cops made him stop, too.

C-4?

Just do it at night!!!

Ew4GxPg.gif

Problem is how to get the training, for example as how big the small bit of C4 has to be to be efficient.
Because we would have only one try, before the cops come in the game.:D
:combustion:
Not even speaking on the purchase...

But....... this guy came up with the great idea of blasting the roots out.
Took out a lot of high priced ads and set up a company.

The cops made him stop, too.

hahaha..great idea he had...he was probably a lot of fun to be around. My buddy, Neal, (demolitions dude) was always thinking outside the box. He used to try to catch bats with a fly rod...NO idea how he planned to get them off the hook.

Neal did some treework back then...he tried to get me to help him set charges in a tree once at different heights and different sides of a tree...he wanted to blast it so it folded down onto itself into a nice little pile...tree was probably 50-60 feet. I managed to not hang out with him for awhile until he got over his "way out of the box" madness.

As demo man he always had an ammo can of C-4 in his trunk...he showed it to me the first time and asked if I knew what it was...I said, "Sure, an ammo can". Then he opened it...uh-oh. He called it his universal key...said it would open anything.

Well...I don't know. At least he was on the right side of the law. And he USED to do that...he better not be any more!:/:

I heard Controlled Demolition a huge Company now started out way back when Grandpa (Who could buy stick Dynamite at the hardware store in those times) would blast stumps the hell out of the ground for him and his neighbors. Guessing he was good at blowing things up.

Ahhh back in the good old days. When anyone and everyone had dynamite! I remember finding blasting caps in a shed out past the end of the fields at our elementary school. My dad was a driller/blaster when I was a kid and had taken me out many times, even let me run the plunger to set off a few blasts. Although I think I had trouble doing it by myself and he'd lend a hand I was so little still. He also used to set me up on top of the handheld rock drill and bounce the shit out of me too. Lol. Gave me the sense enough to not mess around in that shed and report it to a teacher.

You were smarter than me. I was in the 7th grade when my 9th grade friend and I found a stick of dynamite where they were building a new shopping center near us. We tried a whole day to blow it up...we needed one of your blasting caps. Tried to set it on fire, shot it with pellet guns, I can't remember what all. Never did blow. We were pretty much idjits.

Back