Best tool to remove last layer from cleared ground?

Robert P

TreeHouser
I'm clearing out a bunch of small trees and entangled growth to reclaim an area of yard. What would you consider the appropriate tool to clear the last couple of inches - deal with remnants of root networks, small tree stublets too small for a brush grubber, etc. - the goal being getting it back down to dirt suitable for grass. From videos I've watched forestry mulchers are great for getting rid of growth almost to the ground but don't really get into the ground to polish it off - or is that not correct?

The photo shows a representative area. Some of it is debris from sawing that can be picked up by hand but a lot of it is embedded in the dirt.

growth4.JPG

I've used our Vermeer SC252 stump grinder on large areas (12' x 25'), just doing a superficial sweep 1-2" in order to break up root systems. That goes fairly quickly, since there's little resistance. I know Sunbelt rents them, probably other rental places.

A forestry mower can go several inches below grade if set to do so. But the best way is to push over the standing material over with a skid steer and tear out the root system and all. A small stump grinder will be the next best. Then just a ass ton of digging and chopping, I like the easy way personally.

How's the access to that area (size-wise)? Can you get a full size skidsteer in there? You can rent a mini skid if you want to back drag and grade the area. Probably unlikely to find a root rake grapple that would work with that class of machine, though. You may be able to rent a Harley rake for final soil prep.

If he didn't want to use machinery to do the hard part, why would he want to use some now?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
If he didn't want to use machinery to do the hard part, why would he want to use some now?
The final cleanup seems like the hard part.

If I was doing this for hire and git 'er done and on to the next job was the main factor then I'd definitely look at machine-clearing. However I'm doing this in part for recreation and exercise. It's a job but it's doable. Also the factor of debris removal. I've got a method of removal that works at roughly the rate I'm generating the debris and in a form that's relatively simple to handle - i.e. drag it out to the road and let the city take it away a bit at a time. Taking it down by obliterating it into pulp changes how it has to be removed - burning isn't an option and there's going to be too much of it to just leave it in place.

The basic sawing and dragging isn't too bad, the last bit of clearing it down to dirt by chopping without the aid of power equipment does seem to be overly tedious.

Two mules and a plow?

You're asking for the impossible it seems. None of us know how to do that kind of job except with the proper machinery. Tree work is hard, no need to make it harder. The only way we can be successful is by making hard jobs easy, and you do that by using your brains and machinery instead of your back. If you want to use your back, then by all means go for it. But don't expect any of us to be able to advise you on methods of doing it the hard way.

I have a bad hip but even in my younger days there's no way I'd ever attack that mess without a machine. But grab a shovel and axe and knock yourself out. If I think about you then it will only be to thank my lucky stars I'm not in your position.

But the best way is to push over the standing material over with a skid steer and tear out the root system and all.

What you have now discovered Robert, is that by using a power tool (chainsaw) to do the easy part of this job, you have painted yourself into a corner with the problem of how to remove the part that anchors the plant into the ground, aka the hard part of this job. With machinery, you would have simply pushed the roots out using the leverage of the plant, but now, you have way more work cut out for you. There's a reason why no one here would even consider doing this the manual way, because clearing land by hand sucks so much not even the settlers did it. They let pigs, goats, cows, and just about anything else including fire do the work. Since you wanted exercise, now would be a good time to go get a really nice pick and mattock, some good leather work gloves, and an industrial fan to blow air on you so you don't overheat. Because short of renting heavy equipment, or getting a barn animal to root around and eat the... roots, this is the only way. And the irony of it is that even the heavy equipment will do this job easier with the brush part still attached, aka the way that everyone recommended to you. I'm sorry if i sound like a dick, but when multiple people say don't do that and you do it anyways...

Jeebus y'all sound like he's doomed himself or something.

Now that you've cut it and dragged it out. When there's enough cleared hire in or rent a stumpgrinder and grind it all up.

Over the years I've done all sorts of crazy ass super hard clearing type jobs, sure machinery is great. But when you don't have it or have to hire it in or it can't access for whatever reason it's not like it can't be done.

From what I can tell Robert will have bought a small reasonably priced saw, invested his own time and enjoyed free curbside pickup. And now could rent any old tiny cheap ass grinder like is available for rent at Home Depot up here and he'll be done well under any heavy equipment options cost.

From what I can tell Robert will have bought a small reasonably priced saw, invested his own time and enjoyed free curbside pickup. And now could rent any old tiny cheap ass grinder like is available for rent at Home Depot up here and he'll be done well under any heavy equipment options cost.
Exactly - it seems like every piece of machinery comes in small to monster size. I'm sure this would be considered a very small job to a business that does this kind of thing. My whole lot is maybe 1/5 of an acre and this is just part of the back yard. I'm sure a small version of something I can rent will work fine - I just want to make sure I get the right small something.

What you have now discovered Robert, is that by using a power tool (chainsaw) to do the easy part of this job...
I sincerely appreciate all input including naysaying - it gives various perspectives. I should point out that previously you opined that the chainsawing was the hard part.

I do admire your pluck! I've been known to tackle herculean tasks that others think are crazy. But it usually works out in the end, with positive results and is usually on the financially conservative side. Stick with the general consensus and rent a small stump grinder and have an iron hard rake handy and I think you'll do fine!

I guess I overestimated the size of the area. I was thinking a 5000 square feet or whatever, not 100'. For that small of an area, sure. Hire a stump grinding guy or rent a machine and go grind it yourself.

Rent a stumper and be dun. Down side is you'll have to do a good bit of raking afterwards but it will rake out nice being all fluffed up.

I guess I overestimated the size of the area. I was thinking a 5000 square feet or whatever, not 100'. For that small of an area, sure. Hire a stump grinding guy or rent a machine and go grind it yourself.
Maybe 600 - 800 square feet give or take - I goofed on the math on my lot size - around 1/5 acre (80' x 110' lot I believe) but still not a big project in the scheme of things. Videos I see of forestry mulchers show them working on good sized acreage. They'd hardly get the engine warmed up good on my project.

By the measurements you gave earlier it was around 4000 sq ft., about 8 foot high of scrub trees and vines. Yes, running a chainsaw in that is going to suck really bad, and will likey throw a chain repeatedly. Then moving all of that material, likely full of poison ivy, would also suck. I stand by my take on it, which was renting a machine, and just dozing the shit into piles, roots and all. I have an area on my property that i do this to once a year or so, because i don't want to mow it and i just park stuff on. I usually get busy at work all summer and don't have time for anything, then when I'm ready to use the stuff again i just fire up the backhoe and shove it all in a pile to burn. When i was first getting it ready to use as a redneck parking lot, i had to cut down some trees, but now it's just brush and saplings, very similar to what you have. It takes me a few hours to get it cleaned up, and boom I'm ready to do stuff again. That's all this job should take you with the proper equipment.

Maybe 600 - 800 square feet give or take - I goofed on the math on my lot size - around 1/5 acre (80' x 110' lot I believe) but still not a big project in the scheme of things. Videos I see of forestry mulchers show them working on good sized acreage. They'd hardly get the engine warmed up good on my project.

Yep small stumper rental is what you seek. You could easily knock that out in a four hour rental with some beer consumption even. Not that I condone suck activities whilst running said machinery but, well, it happens.

Back