Any reason to empty a regularly used saw of gas when you use non-ethanol gas?

Robert P

TreeHouser
If you know you're going to be using a saw on a regular basis - daily or close to it, is there any reason to run it dry after every use if you use non-ethanol fuel? My understanding - and I reserve the right to be incorrect - is that the ethanol is what degrades fuel lines.

It won't hurt a thing, but if you use it every day or several times a week there's no need. My rule of thumb on saw gas is 30 days.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
What about fuel stabilizer? Does it work?

Same as Butch here. Sometimes I don't use my saws for several weeks...Then I'll use them all day for several days...no problems so far.

My MS650 gets used maybe once every 2-3 months...I don't empty it either. I do make it a point to use it for something every few months, even if it is overkill.

I dump the tank if the saw has sat for a while .Which in my case it's all of them .I don't use fuel stabilizers but I do rebuild a lot of carbs .Fact I'm rather good at it .All the gasoline in this area is blended unless you use aviation gasoline which I don't .

The ethanol by itself does nothing bad against the engine, except it brings with it some water and/or pumps some of the air's humidity. The culprit is the water introduced in the gas, making a mess with the fancy reactive molecules present here. Gas isn't obtained only by distillation of crude oil, but mostly by cracking the viscous parts of it, so you got a bunch of instable molecules. The water plays with them, giving acids, solvents, gums... which all aren't really healthy for the delicate parts of the carb.
The premix comes from distillation. It's chemically simpler and cleaner and doesn't have all this crap.

We don't really face the issue of standing gas. Our saws get emptied several times a day, generally. The blower gets filled at least once a week, possibly twice. The power pruner may be the least used piece of equipment, but it usually gets a fresh tank at least every other week. And the 2.5 gal saw gas mix can usually only lasts a week at most.

I leave fuel in my saws. If it has set for any amount of real time and or unsure. I just dump to a collecting jug I have. Then it gets poured into the mower gas when mowing.
Then put the mix in the saw from the jug before using.

Y, that 2 cycle mix is GOOD for that Briggs & Stratton engine, let me tell you! Don't mind the blue smoke...
I do that or into the stump grinder if I find an old random can of mix from ages past.

I never see smoke from my mowers from 2 stroke mix. figure it is 50% mix and 50% gas so broke down even further.

I'm under the impression ethanol doesn't mix with 2 stroke oil.

It does. Just the alcohol has a tendency to condense and separate moisture. Stabilizer helps prevent that as I recall. Also why your 2 stroke oil has stabilizer in it.
In Commierfornia, I am stuck using ethanol. Does just fine with 89 plus octane with the Stihl synthetic mix. No issues since that was what I used with it. Too many other issues using shit cheaper fuels (I only have a Chevron here now, no other name brands) and regular mix oils.

If you know you're going to be using a saw on a regular basis - daily or close to it, is there any reason to run it dry after every use if you use non-ethanol fuel? My understanding - and I reserve the right to be incorrect - is that the ethanol is what degrades fuel lines.

Its not right. Ethanol in it self is not very aggressive. Its easy to find and test to learn.
Its all other crap in fuel that degrade the lines and other rubber parts.

I'm under the impression ethanol doesn't mix with 2 stroke oil.

This is correct unless its a oil with esteric property like Resin oil. Most synthetic oils are based on esteric oils.
Not sure I got the spelling or even words right....

Back