Bandit 990 xp thinking of buying, any thoughts?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Only I have the correct licence, as an older guy I received automatically the right to drive a 7500kg truck.

After ‘91 that right was withdrawn.

Rich, I owned a landy, never ever again!

And yes, broadly the rules are the same over here.

Haha. I wasnt suggesting at all you get a Landy. I wouldn't wish that fate on my worst enemy or a Swede.

You could tow with the Ranger.

C'mon England!!!

I don't know too much about them but I'm curious why all the bashing of Landy's. They are popular over here so it would seem they have something going for them/are doing something right

Says you can afford to buy and fix them.

Fluky electrical ghosts, I hear.

I bought my 10 year old, heated garage kept, non-starting, LR Freelander (like a Ford Escape) for $2K, with 25,000 from a stinking rich client.

Fuel pump was bad at 25,000 miles. $500 for towing and fuel pump, plus my own labor...$2500 out the door.

The cargo area cover, retractable fabric thing, was only $600 at the dealer.

Its been good since then, for 40K miles.

My best bud in high schools dad had a landy. It was awesome, front end was held together with rope at one point. I recall it had some setup rigged to use the wheels as a winch, we took that thing some crazy ass places.

When I was a boy we had a rover car. Tc2000 I think? It was pretty cool. I don't know if that's the same company or what, but it was a English mobile if I remember correctly. Racing green. I remember it had a ice warning system, and a little light would start to flicker on the dash to indicate icy conditions. Also dual sidedraft carbs and independent rear suspension with inboard brakes. Pretty state of the art for as ancient as it was. Lol.

My wife has a Landy and she loves it ( I hate it but it aint my car). She's had good luck. Put 200k miles on it and sold it for $4k while it still ran and looked great. We were afraid of what it would be to fix it when it would eventually poop the bed.

She has a 2016 now and loves it too. Buys em used with low miles. I hate this one too, but, happy wife/happy life etc etc.

The licensing issue for bigger trucks is a very real limitation. Mick, what are the weight limits for you? Here the limit is 26,000 lbs combined weight before you need a Class B or Class A commercial license. My chip truck is probably medium sized compared to most. Ford F450 with a 15,000 GVWR. It weighs just under 10,000 lbs empty (the box is heavy). My chipper weighs about 3600 lbs so even fully loaded and pulling the chipper I am well under the legal barrier of 26,000 lbs.
We all carry Class B CDLs w/air brakes, and one with a Class A, so we can interchange equipment and have flexibility of drivers. Our International chip truck is 33,000 GVW and the log grapple is 60,000 GVW. Our Vermeer chipper is 8,000 lbs. but that is only factored into gross combination weight. We test for the CDL without the trailer, so it's easy with our straight box (S-backing and parallel parking was a breeze). Soon we'll have a dedicated bucket truck and will likely pull a dump bed trailer with it, with a mini & stump grinder as cargo going out.

Back