Decent lighter weight saw for one fairly intense project?

Just for the info stream here, forestry mowers produce chips on the ground which can be left as mulch. The one previously pictured would probably mow up to 7 inch trees. Guys in my area go out with that unit for $150 an hour. I realize you're beyond that.

You can recognize poison ivy etc right?

We took a 20ish inch pine about four passes its length once on the ground and gone. You kind of need to whittle at it for a bit then you can push them over at that size.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Just for the info stream here, forestry mowers produce chips on the ground which can be left as mulch.
My eventual goal is to take it back down to ground level to reclaim the back yard - as in grass. Believe it or not there was lawn here once upon a time. If all this was reduced to mulch surely it would be a foot thick or more...?

You can also just rent a mini excavator or skid steer, or even a mini, and just bulldoze it all. Be done in a weekend, including hauling it out.

You can also just rent a mini excavator or skid steer, or even a mini, and just bulldoze it all. Be done in a weekend, including hauling it out.
Hmm. Looking at video on Youtube they look simple enough to operate and looks like it would be a lot of fun - I can see the mini excavator knocking down some of the growth - I don't think it would be appropriate for the largish trees which are still going to require some sawing - can't just knock them down since I have neighbors around me, and I might want to leave a couple standing - but then what? There would still be literally tons of stuff that has to be dealt with. I don't want any large trucks driving across my septic system which they would have to to get to my back yard.

Then don't have the truck drive over your septic :lol: looks are deceiving, but you only can learn by doing. If you aren't familiar with equipment this is daunting, but can be done. A tractor, backhoe, or skidsteer equipped with forks moves brush piles easily enough, not as good as a grapple, but it can be done. You can also just use the blade on a mini ex to just push brush to a spot where you can load. Using equipment like this is how most small jobs are done in construction, including pipeline. You would likely want a dump trailer as well if you have a decent sized truck, lower sides means easier loading. Just don't get the smallest machine possible to try to be cheap, bigger is sometimes better :/:

Then don't have the truck drive over your septic
There's no way to avoid it. My septic system - tank and drain field - extends most of the length of my front yard and there are trees blocking any other path to the back yard which can only be accessed from one side of the house.

A tractor, backhoe, or skidsteer equipped with forks moves brush piles easily enough
It still has to be moved to something, and that something still has to be hauled in and hauled out, across the aforementioned septic system.

Use the equipment to take it to the street then. You are thinking too much man. If you hired someone, what would they do? Well, if they had a forestry mower attachment, they would use that. If they only had a skid steer, they would use that too. If they can't get the truck to the piles, then they move the piles to the truck. Sure you might mess up some grass, but you are going to be doing grass in the back anyways, what's a bit more seed? In life there are people who try to do things by hand, expecting the poor souls expecting to pick up a can of grass clippings and a few twigs to move "tons of brush" for them without charging more because this project will consume the rest of the weekends for the next year. Or there are other people who want to get done and go on to the next project, and go about it in the same manner as people who do it for a living would. Anyone you hire would show up with some machinery, and make it happen. Is running brush from the back yard to the front to load fun? No, but everyone here does it, most on a daily basis. I would drop the trees i was gonna take out first, then use the machinery to move it all.

Mat over the septic field and use a machine with a grapple. If you may over the area and use a tracked machine the ground pressure is next to none.

Track machine and burn onsite.
Local ordinances preclude burning in my circumstances - lot's too small (1 acre minimum) too close to my house and other residences.

A journey of a thousand cut down scrub trees begins with a single pull on the starter rope...or something like that.

The area where the saw is looked basically like the background. Those vines on the fence are gone now. The bottom pic is the second load of about that size I've hauled out. Many burned calories. That Echo runs great.

cleared area 1.jpg

2nd load.JPG

You are a BEAST...a crazy beast...but it's looking good.

Awesome you can get it hauled away. Drag on.....

Back