Decent lighter weight saw for one fairly intense project?

I've got an old Clipper brush mower that will just eat up vines .You'd better wear body armor if you use it because it throws stuff every where .You can rent a more modern version which has better operator protection .

Hedge trimmers. A more expensive option with great reach is to use hedge trimmers on a "power pruner" multi tool thing

I call that tool the Grim Reaper! Awesome tool. Deceminate berry vines

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Probably couldn't go wrong with an Echo 2511T. A used Stihl MS 201T would do the trick as well.
Wow, that Echo is about 1/3 the weight of my Remington and from what I've seen is still supposed to be a powerful saw. I see the price goes on a steep climb from their slightly heavier models that are still half the weight of my Remington. Definitely weighing options here.

As for goats, I don't know where to put the bar oil...
Lol

“Forget goats”

If you only have an acre or two I would agree but with twenty acres it’s a full time job trying to keep it looking good. I’d rather relax after work and let the critters do the bullwork.

Pictures of the mess??
This gives something of an idea - there's probably a hundred feet or so of this that goes back maybe 40 feet or so at the deepest point - what's not obvious here is that it's mixed in with small to medium-sized trees.

I ended up getting an Echo CS-352, a rear-handle model. I got it instead of the CS-310 since it has a bit stronger engine but rated the same weight. It's supposed to be 8.8 lbs compared to my Remington's 16.5 lbs. I've only used it for about an hour so far but that Echo runs great and what a difference those 8 lbs make - much easier to work with and also much better vibration isolation.

I thought about a Ryobi model as well that was less expensive but it's slightly heavier at 10 lbs with a little larger engine and my overall impression from what I read online is the Echo is a more substantial saw.

Attachments

• growth1.jpg
    growth1.jpg
    103.8 KB · Views: 30
It does look miserable...you need a flight of A-10's for that...maybe a napalm strike....or a big Bobcat with a grapple. There's going to be an unbelievable amount of debris generated.

I'd let my fingers do the walking...
They are - right to the pull start handle on the saw. Hey I got a saw at the boxmart and providing something for the trash pickup guys to do - doing my bit for the economy!

Flag.jpg

Unlike Butch I say good on yah for tackling it yourself. I doubt it'd be cheap to have someone come in and look after it.

Unlike Butch I say good on yah for tackling it yourself. I doubt it'd be cheap to have someone come in and look after it.
I'm sure it wouldn't be. If someone came in with a forestry mulcher the growth would be knocked down but I'd still have a mountain of debris to deal with that would take forever to get cleared out and wouldn't be in a form to make it readily draggable to the curb, or would be an extra expense to have someone haul away.

Hate to tell you this, but that's not a take it too the curb kinda job... can you burn where you are at?

Already took the first load this week. It'll take a while but there's no deadline.

Just for the info stream here, forestry mowers produce chips on the ground which can be left as mulch. The one previously pictured would probably mow up to 7 inch trees. Guys in my area go out with that unit for $150 an hour. I realize you're beyond that.

You can recognize poison ivy etc right?

Chip it (or burn if applicable) exactly where it grew , hundreds of trips to the curb ... not appealing even if free after that.

Back