Decent lighter weight saw for one fairly intense project?

Robert P

TreeHouser
Looking to clear out my overgrown back yard, cut through a bunch of overgrowth - mostly smallish trees tangled with potato vine which involves a lot of holding the saw up higher - kind of like doing constant front dumbbell raises. I've got a Remington Outlaw 46cc saw that runs great but it's a bit heavy for that kind of use - I gather it's intended to be used for log/trunk cutting.

Any recommendations for a decent saw that's lighter that would be less burdensome for this kind of thing? Doesn't have to be pro quality, but then again maybe I could get something used that will get worked intensely for this one project then re-sell it.

Thanks

It sounds like you don't really need a saw... my suggestion is to pay someone do it for you. Using a chainsaw like front dumbbell raises is not for the inexperienced.

Delegate that shit, brother.

I'd want a rear handled 200 (201?) but that's a pro saw. I'm not real familiar with homeowner saws other than they have more plastic in them then the pro models.

cutting it is the easy part. handling it and managing it after you cut it is the hard part. whatever you do don't cut it and then hire someone to clean it up. it will be more expensive that way.

Given all of that...

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Milwauk...ery-and-M18-Rapid-Charger-2727-21HD/305058651

Especially if you already have any other Milwaukee M18 Fuel products. Or if you have any Dewalt battery products, they have similar.

Walmart has Poulan light weight homeowner gas chainsaws for about $130 or so last time I noticed. That would do the job for one project and still have life left for resale.

For the record, I think about every paper chainsaw "manual" handed out with a new saw says to not use it to cut at shoulder height etc. There must be quit a few people coming into emergency rooms with chainsaw/neck issues.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Pole saw?
This growth is too dense for a pole saw. I get good results using various slashing motions with my current saw to cut through the tangled denseness as well as getting through the thicker tree sections as I go, it would just be great to have a saw that's lighter.

cutting it is the easy part. handling it and managing it after you cut it is the hard part. whatever you do don't cut it and then hire someone to clean it up. it will be more expensive that way.
Nah, I'll put out as much as I can get away with a bit at a time with the weekly yard waste. If there's anything that's big enough might put it out as free firewood.

I mean this...powered for sure. We have one like this...very useful.

powerpurner-stihl.jpg

Bob for once wasn't being a smart ass, chain a goat up there and it'll all be gone. Then you can have a bbq after :lol:

hahaha...I wondered what that meant..thought it was some kind of bizarre acronym. He really meant "goats"!!!

I’d fence’em in myself, the goats not the saws. Anybody that would tie or eat a goat shouldn’t own one. Very social critter. More so than me.

6FC826A7-865C-44BE-84C7-6DA6049B00CB.gif

Given all of that...

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Milwauk...ery-and-M18-Rapid-Charger-2727-21HD/305058651

Especially if you already have any other Milwaukee M18 Fuel products. Or if you have any Dewalt battery products, they have similar.

Walmart has Poulan light weight homeowner gas chainsaws for about $130 or so last time I noticed. That would do the job for one project and still have life left for resale.

For the record, I think about every paper chainsaw "manual" handed out with a new saw says to not use it to cut at shoulder height etc. There must be quit a few people coming into emergency rooms with chainsaw/neck issues.

You beat me to it. The M18 is on my short list. I've used electric saws in the shop cutting timbers a lot, a cordless one is even better. Ave channel on YouTube didn't give a good review of the DeWalt at all.

For that matter, if it's ground level up growth (but you did mention vines), you could rent a Billy Goat Outback mower. I've had good success with them, thinning out undergrowth in forests. Yes, forests, Stig. :)

Robert P:
Forget the goats, that is an ignorant suggestion. Goats are great for eating regrowth but not for initial clearing. They are smart, goats are. They will go for tasty new growth and leave nasty old woody stuff alone. Odds are once they graze the tasty stuff they will jump the fence and gobble the neighbors prize plantings.

You need a nice small saw. I urge you to think about a saw with a rear handle, they are much safer and easier to handle.
I also would ask you to think about the fact that if you actually need to buy a saw, odds are you will be able to use it again and again over time.
Need it once, you may need it again.

Having said all that, now comes the reality of: does the damm thing start? Is it sharp? I cannot help you with the sharpness, but serious thought should be given to if the stupid thing will start when you need it with your occasional use.
Fuel management is critical. Run the saw dry after EVERY use before storage!

Here in calif they sell 'prepackaged fuel' it is low ethanol and has the oil already mixed into it.

Another thought: think about a battery powered saw. No muss, no fuss.

Final musing coming from almost a quarter century of working with power equipment: if you DO buy a piece of power equipment, buy from a local shop, not a box store! Reason is, if anything goes wrong, you can bring it back to the people that sold it to you and have them help you with your issue.
Typical employee of a box store knows more about how to bag your groceries than their current job of being in charge of the garden section of the box store.
Good luck and be safe!

(Shame on you guys here at the treehouse for not stepping up to help an honest query in a straightforward and helpful way)

Hedge trimmers. I'd go gas for run time, but corded otta be very light weight. A more expensive option with great reach is to use hedge trimmers on a "power pruner" multi tool thing, but those can be heavy to reach high with if you have to hold the engine above shoulder height. I'll be using a new poulan gas hedge trimmer when I tackle the woods on my dad's land this fall.

Chainsaws have a hard time going through vines as they flex easy pinching the bar while the chain can't finish the cut. Hedge trimmers clip all that small stuff while chainsaws push away and slowly grind through very small twigs and medium size vines. Just my experience tackling a huge clump of vines once.

Back