Motivation

It's really hard for the "little guys" like me to see a master being fed up of his job.
I understand that when it becomes "too much" for whatever reason, that isn't far from "no more again".
I understand but it's saddening.

I got the same feeling when the chief of our dogs rescue training club wanted to stop being the leader and even didn't take a new pup when his dog died.:(
(too bad for the club too).

By your own numbers it means you're grossing over half a million a year in sales. That's a lot of treework! We all know our own bottom lines and how much time/effort we put in to make it.
Well, not quite. We work 4 days, Mon-Thurs; Fridays are for equip. maintenance, estimates, stump grinding, and perhaps small fill-in jobs. And I was giving our target, mean average per day. Some days a bit more, some days a bit less. And over winter, we are hungrier, leaner, with less work queued up (but we do stay busy), so the net in Dec-February is a bit less.

I am getting sick of my skill being whored out. I need to be in full control on the job. I was told that the climber is responsible for all that happens on the job. Then shit happens after my nuts are cut off, and it seems to be no big deal. All the flags have popped. Moving on. What a waist of the last 4 years.

Idk Butch. My buddy got hurt bad, and it seems to be business as usual. Like nothing happened. I know all will be good. Thanks for asking.

Then you show up in tennis shoes and 0 PPE. After a serious incident. Thanks for listening and really feeling me my brothers.

I am getting sick of my skill being whored out. I need to be in full control on the job. I was told that the climber is responsible for all that happens on the job. Then shit happens after my nuts are cut off, and it seems to be no big deal. All the flags have popped. Moving on. What a waist of the last 4 years.

Idk Butch. My buddy got hurt bad, and it seems to be business as usual. Like nothing happened. I know all will be good. Thanks for asking.

Then you show up in tennis shoes and 0 PPE. After a serious incident. Thanks for listening and really feeling me my brothers.

Its been two days of pure rage. The man has let me go today. I am excited for whats around the corner.

Hey, Dan! Sorry to hear about your friend getting hurt. It might be asking too much, but I always have an interest in hearing about how these incidents happen. It can help others avoid accidents in the future. It's ok if you don't want to get into all of that, though. I'll understand.

I'm not a pro like you, but I can relate to the circumstance of having your control over a work site slowly taken away from you by someone who constantly resists doing things in the way the climber thinks they should be done. I got lucky once that my ground man and property owner never got hurt by what resulted when he refused to listen to my opinion on how we should proceed. I determined after that day and that incident that I would never again allow myself to be overruled with regard to operations. I decided that a single question needs to be answered in that circumstance. The question is: "Who is in charge here?" If the person being asked the question answers back that it is someone other than the climber, the climber should say, "Wrong answer." And then proceed to come down from the tree, and start packing up his gear.

That is where I stand on this issue, now.

Thanks in advance for any comments you care to make.

Tim

I second that -- I always want to learn from others, names and locations withheld to protect the guilty/innocent is fine. I'm just glad we don't roll the way you are describing. No question that the eye in the sky is running the show; all the others are supporting actors to make the play move onward to completion.

Back