Motivation

Not feeling it at the moment. Plenty of work but am having to dig deep to find the patience to deal with peoples tree problems....meeting and listening to them more specifically. Its alarming how small your world can shrink when running a business, because of the time and calculative mental processing it requires. I think without taking a step back, you dont notice so much, it just seems normal to be constantly calculating and juggling throughout every concious hour....Jobs, clients, machines, tools, workers, money etc, its constant. Too bad many of those late night hours are un paid, nor even appreciated. Instead of that, Im forever having to explain why tree work costs what it costs. Meanwhile we miss so much good stuff, because of the pressures of trying to gain a foothold, an advantage. The whole time under the illusion that cutting trees is really living life.

I realize theres way worse paying occupations....but its also a massive distraction which inhibits imagination and balance. Mean while times marching on, people are getting older, some will be dead before others. I need to make some changes while theres time.

Yes sir! I am in your boat. I have a trolling motor. The battery is dead....middle finger to you battery! I know you love it. Of course without the crap. Thanks to you sir for all you have taught me. That should be a reward that you keep. We thank you all the time.

Not to pick on you GP but I often find the calculations of self employment get hazy. Do your guys make 4x as much or gross 4x as much? So if the state guys make $25/hr you and your guys are seeing $100/hr on your pay stubs?
Current job listing for the City, Forester: $18.35-26.23/hr (40 hrs/week). It is a bit hazy since you could look at gross take for the crew (shooting for $2K/day mean average, 4 men on the crew), or divide it by individual. For sure, our overall gross works out to over 4x the city rate, net after fuel, maintenance, and hard costs might be closer to just over 2x their top pay rate.

It's a hard choice for some. I totally get it, in that I couldn't stand to stay in the same top down managed job for more than 6 months from my first work at 15 up until I was 24.

Then I took what I expected to be another short term job, with the US Forest Service. Seasonal, no retirement, no health insurance benefits, no rehire rights. Apply for a position each year, if one existed. But lo and behold, I found a niche where I had sufficient room to operate as I saw fit. A decent fit for my anachronistic style. 4 to 6 months unemployed left plenty of room for travel and adventures, if not wealth :).

Seven years of the seasonal gig, then another lo and behold...unexpected opportunity to apply for a permanent seasonal position from a USFS boss who hunted me down while we where on a 5 month cross-country travel to ask me to apply; full retirement, full health insurance benefits. Got that job, and lucked into a series of other bosses that saw the wisdom in letting me run free and unfettered, after laying out my responsibilities and must meet objectives.

In that, I was blessed. It wasn't until the old bosses retired and youngsters were hired in their places that I ran afoul of management. Could have been different, could have happened any time right out of the box, all through my 32 year career. It helped of course that I was quite a bit above average effective at my job. No guarantee, but being effective will often give you extra room to operate as you wish.

Lucky sob, me.

I hope you can find a sweet spot, Reg. You have so much talent, so much skill. And like so many of us in this field...so little tolerance for idiocy :).

It's a hard row to hoe, my friend. Best of luck.

One thought that helps me is that our occupation, like most trades, is inherently honest. We cannot succeed for long if we are not delivering what we promise. You want to make tall dollars? Go to school and become a stock trader.
Unfortunately, in the public mind we are NOT given the same credit as, say, firefighters, but we do provide an honest service and that is honorable.
(Not like the city firefighters who polish their trucks all day and pass out cookies to kids). ;)

20180103_Trusted_Jobs.jpg

current ranks: I wouldn't say most trades are honest. I think tree biz may be close to car salesman .....it sucks that a fw bad apples spoil the bunch. I still get funny looks when I tell folks I was an arborist. Some make comments about how much money tree guys make. I laugh and move on now.....

I’ve never understood the need for credit, respect or trust from the public.

They have their jobs, I have mine, you want a tree done, call me. If I want to sell my house, fix my car or have my anal fissures examined, I know where to go.

I do have respect for coppers and teachers and doctors/nurses etc, vocational stuff or people who’ve had to study years like engineers.

We’re tradesmen, nothing wrong with that of course.

I have zero respect for a professional due to just their title. I have talked to too many PhDs that were idiots. I am far less impressed by a mind that only reads and regurgitates than by one that can translate that knowledge into understanding or skill.

I've seen a 6 figure engineer trip and fall on loose gravel when he left his office to take a walk through the plant. Regardless of education, it's hard to respect someone who can only safely navigate a tiled floor.

Current job listing for the City, Forester: $18.35-26.23/hr (40 hrs/week). It is a bit hazy since you could look at gross take for the crew (shooting for $2K/day mean average, 4 men on the crew), or divide it by individual. For sure, our overall gross works out to over 4x the city rate, net after fuel, maintenance, and hard costs might be closer to just over 2x their top pay rate.

By your own numbers it means you're grossing over half a million a year in sales. That's a lot of treework!

We all know our own bottom lines and how much time/effort we put in to make it.

I had a surgeon tell me once i made more than he did. I asked him if he paid for that MRI, X-ray machine, surgical suite, army of nurses, hospital building, all those sharp knives, forcepts clamps etc etc.
i didnt get the job lol

I pay $30-40 hour to top climbers. More on occasion. Dont much like to work past 2pm

Maybe I'm dense.

But, I feel this is my lot and caste if you will.
I understand the two differ...

It's given me a decent life.
I wasn't expecting much of all this...but run wot you brung.

"Ride it out, You'll be alright"
Common tree phrases that have helped me through life's tight spots...

I feel I owe the trees or people in what I've learned to shine back as a product... give back what they've given me.

I hope to stay viable and productive to see a lot of this industry.

Sometimes you gotta Shake it Up!

The tedium and ho hum...got to go.

Get frigged up and look to regain balance.

I also run a lot to keep my mind right...too much treework makes Jack a dull boy.

I wish you Peace and Happiness Reg.

Too much good info in yer mind, I'm afraid the BORG needs it for the greater tree universe. :)

Back