Motivation

RegC

TreeHouser
Not feeling it at the moment. Plenty of work but am having to dig deep to find the patience to deal with peoples tree problems....meeting and listening to them more specifically. Its alarming how small your world can shrink when running a business, because of the time and calculative mental processing it requires. I think without taking a step back, you dont notice so much, it just seems normal to be constantly calculating and juggling throughout every concious hour....Jobs, clients, machines, tools, workers, money etc, its constant. Too bad many of those late night hours are un paid, nor even appreciated. Instead of that, Im forever having to explain why tree work costs what it costs. Meanwhile we miss so much good stuff, because of the pressures of trying to gain a foothold, an advantage. The whole time under the illusion that cutting trees is really living life.

I realize theres way worse paying occupations....but its also a massive distraction which inhibits imagination and balance. Mean while times marching on, people are getting older, some will be dead before others. I need to make some changes while theres time.

Must be something in the air going around. I?ve been hearing this a lot and thinking it myself as well. (Not tree work but sawmilling.)

I?ve been thinking about how simplifying my/my family?s life would be. I?d love to talk my wife and kids into selling off dang near everything we have, getting an RV and traveling across the US/Canada. Do seasonal work(treework) for a while and when it slows or we get tired of a place move on to the next spot. Or until we find a place that we can see ourselves loving and not wanting to leave.

I?ve gotten to where I can?t stand being tied down the the mill. On call 24/7 365. It?s not fun any more.

Wow Reg, you are nailing it.

I really like tree work but it's almost all I do and that part of it sucks. If I could do it only 40 hours/week and make more doing it, I might have a shot at living a bit more life.

I saw a tattoo yesterday, "Die with memories, not dreams," it struck a chord with me.

Of course perhaps most folks in various other lines of work feel the same about too much time spent at work and not enough reward.

Nailing it is right...last time I felt that way I shut down and started up a completely unrelated business...well, twice actually.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Would you rather make changes in your motivation or in your method of income - if you had a choice?

A change of habits and priorities for now more like. Then I need to look for a way out anf in a different field altogether. Wont be an over night thing.

Wow Reg, you are nailing it.

I really like tree work but it's almost all I do and that part of it sucks. If I could do it only 40 hours/week and make more doing it, I might have a shot at living a bit more life.

I saw a tattoo yesterday, "Die with memories, not dreams," it struck a chord with me.

Of course perhaps most folks in various other lines of work feel the same about too much time spent at work and not enough reward.

I saw this painting up in Tofino in January. Similar sentiment to your the tatoo 20180106_214418_resized.jpg

Reg, what would simplify things. A marketing brochure that spells out some of the stuff, in print, in hand for the customers to read while you look?

"For your protection and ours, we..." insurance, expensive tools, risk mitigation costs money, offsite maintenance to show up ready onsite.

Giving them something to read will also shut them up for a while, while you're thinking.

Are you using Jobber or similar for bids? Saves time and mental stress.

Have you considered an office assistant/ general assistant, part-time? Having to do EVERYTHING sucks. They field calls, do a lot of talking. Fresh voice, not tired after a long day.
I lose money on late payments because I don't get around to it in time, or spent time I could be doing tree work doing vehicle licensing, or sweeping the shop. A once a week helper who is not necessarily part of the field end who can fuel vehicles or wash equipment can help a lot.

I know that Victoria is very competitive. Some people say that they make more money by charging more. Also, charge high enough rates that you Like doing the work.

So easy to undervalue ourselves.

A sales brochure would highlight your extensive resume. You sell in part on the price-for-work, and close sales in part in peoples' trust in you. As best I can figure, you're a man who does what he says. There are a lot of lesser contractors' out there. Victoria has to have lots of people who care more about the who's doing the work, and that its done right, compared to cheaper prices. I'm sure you have more of those customers growing every year. If you keep building better customer relationships, over time, unless you expand, you will only have time for the best customers, if you price yourself out of less desirable customers, or the work becomes desirable because the pay is right.

Easier said than done.

Do you have any business background, outside of your current business, and contract climbing? Maybe some business books to help avoid pitfalls?

Have you taken a weekend away with the family, lately? Getting enough good sleep, food, water?

Best of luck.

... but its also a massive distraction which inhibits imagination and balance...

We are all so different, in business as in life. I can't imagine not having control of what I do and when I do it. It is a freedom and sure, it costs. The world of tree work is huge with an unlimited array of possibilities. As the years pass, the things that no longer give me joy or are too physically demanding, I just stop doing. I'm the boss, I can do that. There are many other aspects of this job left that are still easy. Many things left to learn and stir my imagination.

It seems like many small businesses grow just a little past a one man show, but not big enough to have the manpower to be able to delegate. The business owner becomes everything from salesman to janitor. I see a lot of people fold rather than grow. Many of them are happier.

Feeling you Reg. Guess we all go through it. Kids are growing. Stuff at the house needs done but has to wait till money flows. Time or money, but they never go hand in hand. Get burned out. People inclusive. I am rethinking mine. Do I contract climb? Getting kind old for that game. Will be short lived, but maybe a good break. Work for someone else? Gonna be more hours, not as flexible, kids need daddy.
Then Monday, I'll go see a new customer, make her black oak all pretty and feel better till someone pisses me off.
Maybe we get through it, maybe we reinvent ourselves. Dunno

Lotta great points being made.

Great post of that painting.

Reg, any idea what the different field would be?

I hear you loud and clear Reg and am/have been living through it for a few years now, starting with the sale of my small tree business. I've completely burnt out on self-employment. Downsizing and simplifying. More time for my family and myself. My farm hits the market on Tuesday and I interviewed for a 'regular' job just this morning.

The last few weeks My family has been going through all of our possessions, toss it, give it away, sell it. We are leaning out our lives. And I can say, it feels great.

I'm looking forward to putting in my eight and hitting the gate, pension, full med/dental(that we already have through my wife's work but this will top us up to 100% coverage), holidays, no looming responsibility or never ending list of work things to do. No work expenses at all, can make up for a decent drop in earnings.

I always figured, and pretty much accepted the fact, that I'd worked til the day I die. It was the popular consensus with most working men in my neck of the woods: Timber fallers, Tree Climbers, Fishermen and the lot. All along the coast, here. Many worked up through their 70's in good health. A few into their 80's, even. The ones that retired, it seems, got bored with life and died early.

In 2007 that view of life, for me, changed quite unexpectedly. Injured, laying in bed, I pondered what the heck I was going to do. By chance, and luck, I already had 2 books selling and pulling in enough income to pay the immediate bills, and also, I was sitting on about 150 hours of edited helmet cam video: of climbing and aerial treework. So I had a great idea and set out to make the Working Climber Video Series. Which I probably never would have done, because I was too busy working to do it. But all of a sudden I had the time.

In the meantime a VA rep told me I qualified for benefits. It took a could of years, but we made that work. Simultaneously my Social Security benefit kicked in. Terri was working, God bless her, and together we were living just about as well as before the accident, and since I wasn't working in the strict sense I had time to publish a series of books on the Redwood Parks. All those little things added up.

Now, back to that moment when I was laying in bed wondering what the heck I was going to do. Well, none of it was planned, but it all worked out. The moral of the story, I guess, "We never know for sure what lies ahead in life, but with a little work and perseverance, we can always help steer it towards a good direction."

That was another unexpected benefit, and very timely of the House, too, I might say. I didn't know anybody here, but they heard I was hurt, and pooled a raffle together, and sent help my way. I'm so lucky. Been here since. Thank you!

Dealing with the same here. I’ve found delegating everything possible helps a lot. No easy road I think, but you can make it work for you. I’m heavy into the simple approach this year and it makes things much more pleasant whilst doing the grind.

Thanks all

Sean I still enjoy the work, mostly. I have plenty returning customers.... obviously hanging in there a few more years to secure more of those types would eventually free up a lot of time that I waste on wasters. I generate decent money, but dont get to keep anywhere what i think is fair for the time, effort, expenses and expetise that im delivering. And largely, it doesnt get appreciated. I feel much like Justin a couple years ago, when he was selling up. I'll carry on for now, but I have one eye on the exit door.

Cory, cant help but notice how much potential there is here for tourism....not just Asians and cruise ship folks....but out-door types, looking for adventure of sorts. Also been looking at land on the coast, abandoned cut blocks to be specific....with potential facilitate for camping and RV. That would take money and time investment, obviously. Its doable, though....but not sure the marriage would survive it either. Im not going to put myself through all that, only to have to sell it all in a couple years. Nothing's ever straight forward.

Back