Multimeters ???

flushcut

TreeHouser
So what are you guys using for multimeters? Model #? Likes dislikes.
I am leaning towards Fluke but I am not sure what model will get the job done without breaking the bank.

That's the big question. I have a craftsman, but i need to break down and get another because mine doesn't have an amnmeter. I get by but one would be very nice

We've been through a bunch of $20 Craftsman digitals. They work great, unless the shop they are in burns to the ground. Then not so much. A Fluke with the clip on ammeter would be really nice. AC/DC, or just Automotive DC?

Fluke is top of the heap, but unless you're using it day in & out as critical to your work, not worth the $$$ in my estimation. Klein is great for middle of the road use. Personally, I have a Commercial Electric model and it serves my needs just fine (which are admittedly intermittent & sporadic). No need to have $$$ tied up in a tool that is sitting around 95% of the time unused -- that's how I look at it.

I hate to admit it, I've fixed plenty of stuff with a harbour freight one. A harbour freight circuit tester light (clamp on one end, then a pointy end with a light to trace power supply) is also super handy working on old trucks and equipment. Very handy for my colorblindness lol

I need to look into one that is re-chargeable. My kids have this innate tendency to turn stuff on and not turn it off. You know, lights in bed rooms, meters in glove boxes and tool boxes, flashlights, John Deer tractors..........

Get a bunch of rechargeable batteries, it will change your life. They've come a long way from the old school nicads.

I have fluke, klien and some others. They work ok..I prefer analog, even some of the new digitals take forever to settle on a reading, tough to troubleshoot some situations. I'm actually frustrated just thinking of it!

I’ve got an old Electro-Tek that does ok. I found digital is worthless on ol machinery due to electrical “noise”. Gotta use analog meters for them.

I had a cheap one from Radio Shack that I bought in the mid 1970's. I accidentally fried it a few years ago; always make sure it's on the right setting before checking the line voltage on an outlet.

Now I have one from Harbor Freight. It was either free or very cheap with a coupon. Like $3.99

I've got a bunch of them which is of no surprise because of what I do for a living .From the good old Simpson 260 to a modern Fluke model 12
The Fluke is small and very accurate and it has a range for checking capacitors which is nice .

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
What are you going to be using it for?

Working on my iron, silly.
Ram 2500 5.9, F450 6.0, stumper (Cummins) , chipper (Cummins), mini (Kabota), 09' Fusion, 01' Honda Odyssey, and probably my lawn mower. Oh and my buddies 99 Jeep.
I am just looking to up grade my current multimeter a GB $19 special that is more frustrating to use than it's worth. I figure sense I am going to up grade why not see what everybody is using.

I bought a Blue Point off the Snap On truck back in college.

It is a decent meter. Plenty for checking voltages and such.

I mentioned here recently that I purchased a Fluke 87. I have been happy with it as well.

The older Blue Point was just not fast enough for some of the things I needed.

Sometimes the slow speed is a blessing....sort of like what Peter was talking about.

The 87 is probably in excess of my requirements, but its a good tool to grow with.

Fluke also makes some lower priced meters. Some of them are made in China.....so watch out for that.

The Chinese Frukes have not as good a reputation.

What kinds of leads are you running with your 87?
From what I gather the 87 is the one to get, probably more tool that I'll ever need but after a conversation with a Vermeer mechanic he almost implied that is the one and only one to get with tier 4 final crap.

I have a fluke 1587... use it to test insulation motors etc. very handy but expensive. I use it pretty much every day at the mill .

Also have a 376 clamp meter. It actually probably gets use more do to the clamp.

I think most. If not all flukes new stuff has an auto off feature. I think they turn off after 3 minutes of not use. The Klein?s may be the same way.

Whatever you get. Go ahead and get an accessory kit that has the alligator clips and all that stuff. It?ll pay for itself the first time you use it. And is worth spending the extra money on.

The 87 is a good one too

Thank you! I have been eying all the different leads and the added cost.

Bought a Fluke 87 in the early 90's and am still using it today. I use it for my job.

Back