Friction creator?

CoreyYLTG

Treehouser
So instead of a friction saver does anyone know of a friction creator that I can hang on a crane cable? I rent a crane a lot and time is money, but I'm on my 4rd zigzag in 2 years. I've played with using a nub as a friction point and having the zigzag wide open whilst lowering myself with the tail of my line, but I can't always leave a nub in a safe place to do that with. I have tried xrings.

You need an HH. It can do anything you might need and it will last longer than any other friction device made.

So instead of a friction saver does anyone know of a friction creator that I can hang on a crane cable? I rent a crane a lot and time is money, but I'm on my 4rd zigzag in 2 years. I've played with using a nub as a friction point and having the zigzag wide open whilst lowering myself with the tail of my line, but I can't always leave a nub in a safe place to do that with. I have tried xrings.

Maybe this?

http://www.treestuff.com/store/catalog.asp?category_id=231&item=16822

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Butch I feel that we both know that will wear out, plus it doesn't look very cool, and the whole point of tree work is to look cool.

I would try a rope wrench (really a rig and wrench setup) on the tie in point. That way when you are ascending it's effortless, but when you descend, you have friction. I'm not sure it would work, but it probably would with a pulley tie in. If that doesn't work, maybe the rings spliced in a row type Safebloc would be better because wouldn't they collapse of you had a pulley above them? Last idea would be of you could rig up something that turns in one direction but not the other, like a weld on rachet tie down, with a bar to assure a wrap couldn't be crossed. Then you could do a single wrap on there, but wouldn't notice it ascending.

that works well if its straight up drops from the crane. if you have to move around the tree or go through redirects it can be a bit much friction. but it is great for straight up and downs. it allows for very easy body thrusting too. another good option is the harken one way pulleys. it rotates freely one way and stalls the other and has a ribbed shave for added friction.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
This would just be for crane work, so normally a shackle or bull ring on the cable. It's only an issue when I'm hanging slings for another climber, which involves me bombing out of the tree as fast as I can 20 or more so times.

Ever considered a RopeRunner? I don't work off of a crane but when I need to descend a lot of times and fast that's what I use.

What about two large shackles, pins secured, linked together, and take a 540 wrap around the "u" of one shackle, instead of 180.

But then limb walking to the center to drop down would be bad with that much extra friction, right?

If your main system "burn" is from bombing out on crane work, why not just use a hitch for that? They are cheap, tough and super reliable.

Back