Bottle Tree Help

If as you say, you have already dug around the base and set a tree well I would be more interested in seeing some close-ups of the limbs and branches where the dead meets live.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Sure. Tell me where to snap a pic and I'll garb a photo. Put a couple live/dead comparisons below.

Sorry, I see nothing definitive in those pictures other than terrible structure and what the hell did they do for $1,100? I can see clusters of blackened leaves that could be fungal or bacterial but because they are predominantly on just one side it still leads me to believe that there is something else going on.

Are these trees common in your area? If so, are they in similar situations and how do they look?

Ya. I guess this tree was highly popularized here in Arizona during the 70s due to its drought tolerance. I see them around town all the time (looking with particular interest, obviously). Some are lime in color, but most are darker green, like the south side of mine. Many are also planted over grass.

I’ll be looking to contact an expert with certification from the local search provided earlier. It may take me a few weeks to follow up here, but I certainly will.

I sincerely appreciate y’all helping out. Lots of good information provided. Awesome forum!

Post Arborist Inspection Update

Howdy folks,

Had Alec from Barrett Tree Experts out today.

https://www.bartlett.com/staff/alec-edwards

His first observation was the root collars are buried. The explanation was the trees were planted too low years ago and don’t bow out enough at the base of the trunk. He did not recommend collar excavation which I thought was surprising. I think I might do my own minor excavation for shits and giggles to see if there is any improvement.

Sean - I owe you an apology here. It’s not that I wasn’t listening, I didn’t understand the point. I associated root collar with stem girdling. Each time I looked at the pictures I knew there wasn’t a root “collaring” the trunk. Now I understand the collars and the girdling are independent of one another. So my bad there. Hope you understand.

However, the collars weren’t his biggest concern. Alec was more focused on the irrigation spraying the trunk of the tree three times a week. He expressed how many people in my area have these bottle trees over turf and when the sprinklers hit the trunk the pooling water on the collar has negative effects.

His overall assessment was the trees were most likely planted when the house was built (‘74) making them over 40 years old. He felt like they were not dying, but they likely had less than 10 years left in them. He cited his familiarly with the bottle tree in Arizona and their typical lifespan considering they were not native to the area.

As for a treatment plan, his recommendation was to take a wait and see approach. He advised taking off the small branches that were visibly dead but was happy to see there was a fair amount of new growth. He said this summer would be the true test to see their resiliency due to how extreme the weather was. Per his advice, I'm going to invite him back out in the fall for another evaluation. He said they may be more aggressive with treatment then but did not recommend chemicals for a tree so old.

I’m fairly satisfied at this point knowing I (hopefully) won’t wake up in a month to find them dead and gone. I figured since y’all had been so kind I’d leave the update here in case anyone had differing opinions. This forum has been a world of help and I appreciate everyone chiming in for the benefit of some random newcomer.

On a personal note - you guys kick ass. The profile pictures, the topics, the knowledge. All of it rocks. I’ll check in from time to time to read about the daily accomplishments alone.

As always, thanks for any further comments. Hope everyone has a great weekend!

... I?ve read about the tree collar exposure. I put some wells around them down to the soil line in hopes the roots would get an oxygen boost.

So I apologize for misinterpreting what you said here. When arborists talk about tree collars and tree wells, we are generally referring to a protective structure that keeps dirt away from the tree base allowing the critical junction where trunk bark transitions to root bark to be maintained. If instead, you built up that area with planting material and added plants, that is not good.

Is this your tree? https://selectree.calpoly.edu/tree-detail/brachychiton-populneus If so check out the link to the California Big Tree noted. Nick Araya is a member here.

Just because a tree species is short lived in a residential setting is no reason to throw up your hands and say, oh well. Reversing the cultural practices, what we do, that contribute to the shortened lifespan can be well worth it.

I think you are still getting bad advice from your on-site"experts".

I saw the irrigation marking the trunks.

Do you need 3 times a week for grass there?
Typically, not in AZ, one deep-watering per week rather than more frequent, less volume, shallow-watering is recommended.

Water pooling, and subsequent moist collar environment will want to increase SGRs.

Root collar excavation/ exposure is boring (after doing enough, at least) and easy ground-level safe work.

Any "sunken" or "flat" spots in the lower trunk, where the tree isn't evenly growing outward?

@DMc - you were correct in your initial assumption. I have moved dirt away from the collar to create wells in hopes to provide a protection from excess dirt building up on the trunk. That link you found is a pretty impressive bottle tree. Huge trunk comparatively speaking! I’ll message Nick to see if he can take a look at the thread. I agree with your assessment of the “experts”, I’d prefer to not stand idly by, I’d rather do what I can to prolong their life/health.

@Sean - great question about watering. My logic was shallow watering would hopefully protect the bottletree tap root from getting waterlogged by weekly deep watering. I’m more than happy to change the watering schedule to see if weekly deep watering improves the tree health. As for the lower trunk, the west tree is perfectly symmetrical. The east, however, does have one side that resembles a banana with a fairly large sunken portion. I plan on doing some light excavation this afternoon to better expose the collar.

Back