Which big bar, and from where, please.

SeanKroll

Treehouser
I need something bigger than 36". I've got an MS 660, to rebuild, and soup-up for a power head.

Suggestions, please!

I run almost all 3/8, 0.50 up to 36", buying by the roll, fwiw.

In my search up here I know Oregon makes a 42" 3/8 .063 for a 660. I know where there are 2 in my area.... Fuggers ordered it for me telling me it was for an 088.

I think most over 36" will be .063.

I dont know of any 050 over 36". But Cannon will make bars to order if you got the $ to do so.

42" oregon bar and JGX chain = full skip in 063 423RNDD025 / 75JGX135G

Be cheaper to change chain and sprocket, really.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I'm not married to .375/.050, at all, just throwing it out there.

I figured I'd be into larger chain, probably. Seems like you're cutting more kerf. maybe longer bars need to be thicker for rigidity, as part of the equation, as well as chain-strength.

I have run 050 on longer bars and find it stretches more than 063.

Cannon bars if they are in your budget new or I am sure Craigslist has a few out in your neck of the woods. Ebay possibly.

Doubt it.

Probably leaning more toward 42 or 47" (I think I've seen those sizes). A 661 actually only suggested to use a 32" max, per Stihl.

Maybe I need a 3120, since I'm rolling in all this dough, moving and not working, and down payment, and moving costs, and...

Going to check left coast to see if they still have any of the longer GB bars in stock.

nope just 50" double and 72" both under 3.

Thanks.

My friend is going to buy a big bar for chainsaw milling stuff down to bandsaw mill capacity with an MS 056, or I've suggested to him, a double-ended bar with two powerheads. His brother is the retired logger, so between them, I think that they have powerheads, might be 2 056s.

https://leftcoastsupplies.com/product/48-gb-narrow-kerf-lo-pro-bar-gblp-hshl48-50wr/ https://leftcoastsupplies.com/product/63pmx-lo-pro-ripping-chain-dl-375-x-050/

Wondered about narrow kerf for milling.

This price can't be right, though.

I agree with Stig. If you only use it once in a while, look at Forrester for like 42" etc. I rarely use over a 36 bar. Both in 050 and 063. Fact is, I use a 28 the most.

Learn to bore-cut, that mostly eliminates the need of the long bars.

Nobody really expected me to say that, right:lol:

Truth be told, I would use a long bar more for bucking the fat log than felling, unless I had more trees local like Rico does. Done a fair share of felling 4-5' DBH with a 36 bar. Past that size, I would prefer finishing my felling cuts with a longer bar.

I've bore cut a tree or two in my time.

Double-cutting from hooks sucks. Only had to do that once with a 36".

Occasional use. I'd rather use a shorter bar most of the time, chasing cuts or double-cutting. I would use a larger bar for cutting cookies cleanly for tables.

Just got back from the mill next door. Got lumber and slabs on the brain. Dang do I have a bunch of logs over there, lumber, too.

I realized something, when I was splitting a large log in half to be able to bring to my neighbor's bandsaw, I ran out of capacity with a 36" bar, cutting about 32" on a Granberg mill. I have a mini mill. I could have utilized that mini-mill on a 2x6 guide to finish the cut much straighter than free hand, which I did. When I got to the butt, the log was wider than the 36" bar, so I had to cut from both sides. Got wonky.

Back