Steel wedges

flushcut

TreeHouser
There is a part of me that gets all warm and fuzzy looking at old photos of logging with misery whips, double bits, and steel wedges. I have always wanted to find steel felling wedges and came across these Warwood 6#'ers.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Maybe thru your pocket. Heavy? Yes. Made to take an absolute beating? Yes. Will I ever use them on a job site? Maybe!
More of an impulse buy than practical. Kinda like the spring boards I made several years ago that have never smelled two stroke smoke.

And waiting for that rare moment LOL. I am like a prepper of tree work. :lol:

Nice! But,....my plastic wedges have too many saw curfs to feel like I could use steel.

Have you seen the aluminum or magnesium wedges? I think Madsens had them.

Nice! But,....my plastic wedges have too many saw curfs to feel like I could use steel.

Have you seen the aluminum or magnesium wedges? I think Madsens had them.

I have.
My plastic wedges are beat up and cut up as well. The steel ones are more of a paper weight shelf queen kinda deal.

How much lift to length ratio? Maybe show a side on pic? Or give some measurements.

True felling wedges made of steel are a rare bird. I have a couple of steel felling/bucking wedges, shop made, that I have always called "razors". 10 or so inches long, 3/4 of an inch thick at the head. Tips you could slice cucumbers with :). For getting into a closed kerf, once one has screwed up enough to need to wedge open a closed kerf :|:.

Ask me how I know :lol:.

Why don't you use your springboards?
Haven't needed them flat ground here in Wisco. But one day they will shine!
How much lift to length ratio? Maybe show a side on pic? Or give some measurements.

True felling wedges made of steel are a rare bird. I have a couple of steel felling/bucking wedges, shop made, that I have always called "razors". 10 or so inches long, 3/4 of an inch thick at the head. Tips you could slice cucumbers with :). For getting into a closed kerf, once one has screwed up enough to need to wedge open a closed kerf :|:.

Ask me how I know :lol:.

I'll get some exact measurements tonight. But at a guess they are about 8-10" long and about an inch on the beating end, fairly sharp not knife sharp but sharp.

This just in..... 10.5" long, 4.75" wide at the edge, and 1 1/16" lift.
I bought them from a Co. called Harry J. Epstien lots of cool new old stock tools.

Haven't needed them flat ground here in Wisco. But one day they will shine!

I've found use for them on flat ground, on regular sized trees where you have to get above a near-ground level fork or bad sweep to fell big pieces rather than climb. A reasonably small, light tool that can fit in the truck easily enough. The homeowner version is the step ladder :lol:

I was raised on steel wedges.
Gotta say that I don't miss them much.
Heavy bastards to drag around the woods, and you constantly had to be vigilant about trimming the mushroomed edges off, or bad shit would happen.
One guy I worked with had a piece of badly maintained wedge go through his eyeball.
Another had a piece of his hammer head break off and go through his knee.

The surgeon said it was akin to a 7,65 bullet in power.

I love my Hardheads:)

Back