Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Chipper carnage

TreeHouser Sponsor

You could try a soft shackle. It's basically a biner in dyneema. No worry at all for the knifes and there are some very strong. They say up to 22000§
    https://www.elagage-hevea.com/fr/dem...ile-liros.html

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Hart View Post
    There's 40kn aluminum carabiners out there. Or yea just tie it if your winch line is rope. It's a hydraulic winch on the chipper?
    Yes, hydraulic 10,000 lb winch (Vermeer BC1800). Rope, not steel cable. Funny how me & the climber have never sent anything through the chipper... (I did toss a pair of ratty gloves through, they came out unscathed -- no more holes than they went in with!)

Quote Originally Posted by treebogan View Post
    I have seen a fair share of Chipper carnage.The worst was a Vermeer 1800 that ate a Splitting maul.

Mmmmm, yum! Burp
    Mastery is an illusion, grace a momentary gift, apprenticeship endless.

TreeHouse Administrator MasterBlaster's Avatar

I'd like to have heard it from about 100 feet away, under cover.

A DOT BB anvil came loose. blew through the housing. Landed in the driving lane, I hear. Torque and retire bolts, I guess.
    If it looks like I asked a question, but put a period, it's probably a question.
    Don't know why I'm question-mark challenged online. 😀 New Year's Resolution, better proof reading.

Marc-Antoine, thanks for the idea of the soft shackles. I looked at them, but at $30-60 for some of the bigger/stronger varieties, I think we'll pass for now -- basically the same cost as a decent winch carabiner. Instead, we're going to reset our workflow and get back to a simple rhythm and stick with it -- and discipline ourselves to just tie knots on chipper loads. That way if someone makes a mistake, it will just be some lost tail of rope getting eaten, not a carabiner, hook, or shackle. We have brand new blades on the chipper now, and only those that know knots will use the winch line. It's been going well over the past few days with the grapple truck dropping logs on the table or on the ground nearby, tying them on with either a running bowline, timber hitch, or daisy chain hitch. No further carnage; we hope that chapter is done!

Soft shackles are about the easiest thing to splice up, the hardest part is the diamond knot. I would go with the 2 legs variety rather than the one inside the other one kind, they are quicker to loosen and stuff. You can also whip in a cord to act as a pull cord to loosen it even easier, there's a boating website that goes into depth on it and is awesome, I'll see if i can find it. Iirc he was using very small diameter amsteel, but it's the same for bigger stuff too.

Here it is
    http://l-36.com/soft_shackle_howto.php
    Kyle

Quote Originally Posted by GP View Post
    We have brand new blades on the chipper now, and only those that know knots will use the winch line.
    Get rid someone who can't tie a Running bowline or who wear velcro-closure boots.

My daughter is 6. I think by the time shes 7 or 8 she's going to be the paid trainer for knot-and-ropework-basics for new groundies. She can tie her shoes, and has a little song for how to make sure the girth hitch on the throw bag is secure. This weekend she will probably learn a figure-8 follow-though (re-trace) for rock climbing.
    If it looks like I asked a question, but put a period, it's probably a question.
    Don't know why I'm question-mark challenged online. 😀 New Year's Resolution, better proof reading.

Quote Originally Posted by SeanKroll View Post
    Get rid someone who can't tie a Running bowline or who wear velcro-closure boots.
    I generally agree with that sentiment, but we can re-assign people to focus on brush hauling and raking duties. Better to have more specialized (and careful) operators who know the equipment and know how to use it without risking anything. When you get out of a groove and lose your method, that's when mistakes are more likely to happen.

Quote Originally Posted by SeanKroll View Post

My daughter is 6. I think by the time shes 7 or 8 she's going to be the paid trainer for knot-and-ropework-basics for new groundies. She can tie her shoes, and has a little song for how to make sure the girth hitch on the throw bag is secure. This weekend she will probably learn a figure-8 follow-though (re-trace) for rock climbing.
    Hire your daughter then.

Peeps have different strengths, running a small biz (as we both do) means accepting your employees’s shortcomings, and them accepting yours.
    If a guy can drag all day or lift and shift without a grumble I won’t lecture him on knots.
    Iím condescending, that means I talk down to people.

Mick